how can I get more steering angle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
Not saying your suggestion was out of place in the general topic at hand but to be specific his question was about increasing steering angle. That's not gonna happen by just changing how the steering is powered. He's likely going to have to make spindle mods but as I mentioned earlier take a seriously close look at what all is going to interfere with the travel of all the parts involved, as the limits are there for good reason, to prevent moving part contact - though I do suspect the limits are generous because stock is designed "safe" with a margin of error. However, you also can assume he's lowered, which is going to affect those tolerances as well.

Though I don't think anybody mentioned circle tracking. OP was working on a drift truck which to me means road course, not dirt track.

Hell I'd say on a road course he might try experimenting with dumping all the fluid out of the P/S system, ditch the pump, and loop the hose. Quicker ratio box than a manual (which was never offered on a GMT400 anyway) and no more drag from all the fluid in the system. It may not work on this type of setup but it would be interesting to try, and if it doesn't work, he can easily reverse it. The guys running R&P on lighter cars seem to get some value out of it.

Richard
I think I can kind of explain this because it's what I'm thinking of doing. See attached (crudely drawn) picture.

The problem with the way the steering linkages are oriented in our trucks is that as you get closer to full lock, the pitman and idler arms pull the center link towards the front of the truck because of where they pivot, which in turn articulates the spindles even less because they are front-steer spindles that pivot from behind.

With a steering rack, it stays in place and you get more articulation because the steering movement is linear as opposed to following a radius up and away.

That is assuming, like mentioned before, that everything clears.

Also, anytime you can get rid of a hydraulic system it's always better. For example: number one causes for fires on racecars at the track are power steering leaks.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Obs9057

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m a little late to the party. Check out this video of a drift gmt400,
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If you watch it all the way through, he says he drilled an inch or so from the stock tie rod placement. And that gave him way more steering angle. I just wonder if that’s all he did?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not a high effort build. Decent vid, but he smoked junk rear tires and couldn't manji his way down a straight to keep the whole thing smoking. Can't say I'd do better because drift isn't my game.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not a high effort build. Decent vid, but he smoked junk rear tires and couldn't manji his way down a straight to keep the whole thing smoking. Can't say I'd do better because drift isn't my game.

He did that with no handbrake, and a TH400 locked in manual second gear. I'd say he did a pretty damn good job considering what he had to work with.

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
He did that with no handbrake, and a TH400 locked in manual second gear. I'd say he did a pretty damn good job considering what he had to work with.

Run whatcha brung and have fun! [emoji1690]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

I guess I'm just sick of that. I'd really like to see one done right. The knuckles were a step in the right direction but the total package just isn't there.