How bad are clearance problems with a 5/7 drop?

Discussion in 'Lowered and Bagged Suspension' started by Mrbrown510, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Mrbrown510

Mrbrown510 OBS Enthusiast

Lol nah ill just stick to the 4/6

2. someotherguy

someotherguy I'm Awesome

Hey the strap dragger was a whole 2 feet longer. It was so long more than one person looked at it funny and asked me if it was custom (like as in stretched, limo style) - it just looked so weird to see an extended cab longbed slammed, I guess.

The longbed 92 after front end rebuild and switching to 20's, 245/40/20 if I recall, hell of a size to find in stock anywhere when you're in need of one though

[​IMG]

Richard

Iblemz likes this.
  3. Dropped88

Dropped88 OBS Enthusiast

Dude that looks sweet:burnout::boti:

someotherguy likes this.
  4. nailhead

nailhead OBS Enthusiast

Nice trucks. Yeah my vote is go as low as you can. You’ll always want more eventually. Lol. My truck is 5/7 with 2 inch shackles. So it’s a 5/9. Custom mini step notch, no cross member under the bed floor, rolled fenders and bolts taken out of the wheel wells. Tires are 255/35/20 and 275/40/20 rear. You’ll drag and rub but it’s a low rider. I’ve put over 200 thousand miles on this setup with this truck. You’ll get lots of people thinking your on bags and it’s there in shock when you tell them it’s static.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iblemz, Dyelon, sewlow and 2 others like this.
  5. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT I'm Awesome

i have to ask, what bolts are you taking out of the wheel wells and what did you gain from doing this?

6. nailhead

nailhead OBS Enthusiast

I just took them out so they wouldn’t cut the tire. It’s only on the passenger side that hold the air box. Different years might not have the bolts. There just right at the top of the wheel well where the tire is going to bottom out and hit. One of these days I need to build some new wheel wells and raise them up.

VenomousSVT likes this.
  7. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT I'm Awesome

Gotcha! I wasn't sure if you had some magical trick of remove a bolt and allowing the fender well to move up a tad...lol. Mine hits more than I want it to. But since I'm swapped I don't have anything bolted my fender wells

Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Mrbrown510

Mrbrown510 OBS Enthusiast

Do you guys think i would need this or is the bolt on cnotch good enough to not have any bottoming out?

Screenshot_2018-01-29-11-19-09.png

Screenshot_2018-01-29-11-18-55.png

Dyelon likes this.
  9. someotherguy

someotherguy I'm Awesome

I had some bends in the upper portion of my Belltech notch on my 94 C2500LD where the bump stop plates on the axle had smacked the shorter bump stops harder than I would have liked. But I did work the truck like it was still a truck, never babied it. The axle tubes are slightly larger on the 9.5" 14 bolt than your typical 1500's 8.5" 10 bolt, but it's not a huge difference. So, if you load the truck on a 5/7, you will end up smacking the bolt-on notch at some point or another. Whether or not it bothers you is a different story.

Richard

10. nailhead

nailhead OBS Enthusiast

Yeah. I would do the under bed step notch. Mine used to have the beltech notch but it constantly hit the bottom of the notch. I used a pipe , did my own mine step notch on mine and cut the brace off the bed floor. That’s cool they sell those small step notches now. I did mine before they sold notches like that. Back in the late 90’s.