How bad are clearance problems with a 5/7 drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrbrown510

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so i decided on a 4/6 drop with 255/50r17s all around.people keep telling me to just go 5/7 but im just thinking clearance issues between frame and dips and speed bumps.can any of you running 5/7 drops chime in .what did u guys do to releive any clearance problems?

red94chev

Reaction score
Front: You'll be rubbing inner fender on any medium sized dip/bump but not terribly.
Rear, I was 5/8 with a bolt in notch and it was terrible. 7 will be a little bit better but a weld in notch would be the best way to retain travel.

I would stay 4/6 if I did it all again. 5/8 looks awesome but it sucks to ride in. Can't say I ever hit the frame on anything though.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im 5/7 and have a bolt in notch in the rear with shock extenders and it rides fine. I mean, its a lowered truck, but it doesnt bother me at all. THe only rear issue I have is my shackles are so close to the bed and my bushings are soft so on little bumps you can hear it squish the bushings letting the shackle tap the bottom of the bed cross brace and it makes an annoying knock. I can either swap the bushings with these poly's I already have to massage the bed cross brace right at the shackle and it would go away.

As for the front...... Ive had trouble finding springs stiff enough. My DJM's dont hold the weight enough for my liking which caused the truck to hit fenders on good dips something fierce. I went with adjustable Qa1 shocks up front and stiffened them up remedying 90% of this and make it ride so much more connected but its still too soft and I shouldnt have to hold the load of the truck on my shocks. I have been considering 454ss springs but havent really been able to come up with my spring weight to be able to aim higher. I would like to do a spring up front for a 3" drop that would have roughly a 200lb higher tension. I believe this would solve all my issues with bottoming out.

As for clearance, I havent had any issues rubbing or scrubbing anything ive driven over, did take a speed bump a little crazy one day not paying attention and it came off the back side a little fast and I bottomed out in my fender well, but no frame issues. I also have an ls 6l swap and am running the stock truck pan which is 3/4 easily lower than my front end.

I love my 5/7 drop and I wouldnt be happy if i had to raise it back up, im running 20" 2010 camaro wheels and my tires just tuck inside the fender. However, I wont argue, the truck would be more pleasant to drive if it was an inch higher

Mrbrown510

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah this is goin to be my daily so i was looking for the lowest but still comfy setup.so far the best bet seems to be a full djm 4/6 drop with kyb excel g shocks front and back instead of drop shocks with some 255/50r17 tires for sum nice tire thats not too fat or skinny and give me some nice clearance at the same time.i apreciate all the help

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im running djm 4/6 kit with half coil cut off to make it 5/6 and it rides really nice on the 17's. With no bottoming out issues ever

But I have read a lot on the forum where people have had issues with 5/6 5/7 drops which makes me wonder if its wheel choice why I have no problem of if it' just nice roads around here lol

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im running djm 4/6 kit with half coil cut off to make it 5/6 and it rides really nice on the 17's. With no bottoming out issues ever

But I have read a lot on the forum where people have had issues with 5/6 5/7 drops which makes me wonder if its wheel choice why I have no problem of if it' just nice roads around here lol
What's your tire size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mrbrown510

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait wait wait 265/65r17 in the back did i read that right??? A 30 inch diameter tire on a 6 inch drop? Wow

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes i just went out and rechecked that i was right and it is 265/65r17 on a Ridler 17x8

When i decided to lower it i wanted to cram as much tire as i could in the back