Hopkins 47185 harness wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

th3 shifty

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry I’m not good with wiring and this is my first time doing this.

Have a 96 2dr Tahoe that had a 5 pole trailer connector, and I’m trying to change that to a newer 7 blade connector. My truck still has it’s female flat 4.

Question I have is about the 7 blade, there is a black wire that says it’s the aux power, and connect that to the fuse block or a wire o the battery with a fuses link.

So do I need to run the wire all the way up to the battery with a fused link in between?

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's a constant power source in the rear of the truck ….
My 7-pin only has 1 wire going all the way to the battery, maybe the aux power and the trailer brakes feed off of that 1 line. Haven't checked it, yet.
I would run it all the way to the battery, just like the trailer brake power. Using a larger gauge wire, similar to the trailer brake wire. In the event you use any type of power accessories on the trailer, it would be very handy and plenty of power to run whatever you want.

I pull power from the aux power to power my electric trailer jack (sweet!) ….. I also plan to tap into it for some switchable lighting for loading the trailer/etc.

th3 shifty

Reaction score
Ok great, I’ll do that, I haven’t got an electric trailer brake yet so I’m not hooking up the blue wire, and I don’t have reverse lights on the trailer so I’m not going to use the purple wire,

I guess now I just need to find a way to route that black wire all the way up to the battery.