Homemade utility/scrap trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i had a dilemma. Looking for a Mopar 42RH overdrive transmission from 1989-1995 that is hydraulically shifted with only 2 computer wire connections for O/D and Lockup so I can put it in my sons 69 cuda with toggle switches to control it. All the boneyards are telling me $200, you pull it, no guarantee it works. I got to thinking, and checking used truck ads online. Figured if I can get it cheap enough it might be worth it to just buy a whole truck, test drive it, pull the trans, and whetever else I can use. Then sell what I can off it, and scrap the rest. I scored a beat to **** 92 dakota for the princely sum of $400 with over 200k on it. Trans appeared rebuilt which is a bonus, it had a V8 mini starter I kept. Also the amount of SAE bolts, nuts, and fender clip nuts that were on this truck was a super bonus. I am really surprised by the lack of metric threaded hardware on it being that it's a 92 model. Sonny's 69 barracuda was half stripped out when we got it, and needed a lot of this hardware.

Anyways, to the meat and potatoes part of the story, I decided to make a utility/scrap metal trailer out of the back of it. I also wired a tow vehicle fed power panel wired to the running lights mounted behind the fuel door for a set of truck bed mounted LED flood lights on the truck bed and wired it to the trailers reverse lights for loading and unloading this thing is it's dark out. I still need to buy the flood lights, and do a quickie scuff and repaint job on it eventually. I kept the OEM truck wiring harness but de wired the RWAL and fuel pump wiring from it, added a flat 4 way end to it. Gutted the rear brakes off the backing plates, removed all the brake lines, and stuck the drums back on

Not sure if your state allows such things, but Texas does. This is the perfect thing to do with a parts truck once your done with it. I wanted an 88-98 chevy longbed to do this to originally to match my truck and have more load space, or a full size D150 longbed, but I needed the trans for sonny's car and the opportunity presented itself.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I'm a fan of bed trailers myself. Did this one back around 2000 or 01, to match my bagged S10.

Used it to haul an ATV I had at the time. Still had that trailer up until a few months ago, when I let my daughter/son-in-law have it.

Has spent it's later years as a yard work trailer.

Got behind this guy coming back from Uwharrie Nat Forest one day.

Apparently he really likes bed trailers.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a fan of bed trailers myself. Did this one back around 2000 or 01, to match my bagged S10.

Used it to haul an ATV I had at the time. Still had that trailer up until a few months ago, when I let my daughter/son-in-law have it.

Has spent it's later years as a yard work trailer.

Got behind this guy coming back from Uwharrie Nat Forest one day.

Apparently he really likes bed trailers.

I love them, your s10 one is nice and I like the guy's trailer convoy there

My step dads uncle did this to one of his parts truck and ended up rigging a lever to hold the e-brake so the trailer could be parked on his sloped driveway. Pretty smart idea and something manufacturers should look into. At least I think so

that's a great idea, probably wasn't too hard to rig up either

The thread isn't all that old and besides 2020 DOES NOT COUNT!

then consider this thread reinvigorated!

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I gutted the rear brakes, and put the drums back on for this one. Ditched the rear bumper since it made it ass heavy, and mounted the spare up front to give it some tongue weight. After selling all the Dakota parts I could, and scrapping the rest, I am into the transmission and trailer for $0 . Perfect win win situation.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I gutted the rear brakes, and put the drums back on for this one. Ditched the rear bumper since it made it ass heavy, and mounted the spare up front to give it some tongue weight. After selling all the Dakota parts I could, and scrapping the rest, I am into the transmission and trailer for $0 . Perfect win win situation.

that's awesome. I'm hoping to find a parts truck to do the same thing with and just sell/scrap enough stuff to where I get a free trailer

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like those truck box trailers too. The only issue I ran across was, my 88 RCSB is just a little over 48" between the wheel wells. When I go get wood for cabinets, the melamine sheets are 49" X 97" so they don't quite fit in the bed unless I block them up some. This trailer came with the house we bought, yes along with the Chevy rims. It is 48" X 96" outside measurements so it's about useless for any sheet goods. I've had the truck rack from when I worked at Werner Ladder (got it free) so, I fabricated a frame on top of the trailer for it. Now I can haul 14' boards on top and sheet goods on the lower frame.

Now I can back it up into my shop, unhook from it, and pull stuff as I need it.