Holley tbi HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ok I haven't been on here in a while but I'm needing some help I have a 1992 k1500 standard with a 5.7 recently installed a holler TBI got it on truck ran great for like 24 hours noticed a fuel leak the next day but not till I got to work. So I got off headed home stopped for a 6 pack and headed to the house. Truck died before I got out of the parking lot and turned it over to start it back up. Well the gas that had been leaking caught fire. Got it out pretty quickly. Didnt do that much damage pulled it to the house and got it back running. Drove it to work a few times. Then got in the truck about two mornings ago and not running well. Seems like a ignition problem but I'm not sure. Truck does fine at 2000 rpm or higher but any thing lower than that it seems to lose power and kinda sputter. So if anyone has any ideas that would be great. Thanks in advance and God bless.

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What engine mods have you done to need the more air flow? No need for it on a near stock motor, it will hurt performance. Plus your definitely going to want to tune it for the larger throttle body, (hence the no power and sputtering @ lower rpms).

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Everything I've ever read about the Holley throttle bodies on these trucks has been negative. I don't think I've ever seen a single person post that they were happy with one. Stick with the stock unit IMO.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
What df2x4 said. I was going to buy one myself before I read all the negative reviews on them. Swap the stock TB on and see if it cures what ails the truck.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
+1 for ditching the Holley TBI unit. I've also read endless amounts of negative reviews for it. Not sure what Holley was thinking.

If you kept your stock unit, throw it back on and start on other mods that'll net you power. Headers, intake, TBI spacer, chip, etc. You can also modify your stock unit now that it's off (see Ultimate TBI Mods) Clean the Holley unit up nice and see if you can sell it, but you're working against the negative reviews that everyone else has heard about it. It would probably be one of those niche items that aren't easy to sell. Lol

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have tuned several of them! The newer style ones work better than the old ones. You can also slightly modify the base to use a stock TBI injector pod. Biggest thing to getting them to run right is relocate the MAP vacuum line from the rear where the IAC greatly effects the signal to the front manifold vacuum fitting. Doing that alone typically stops cold start flooding and rough idling.

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, just throw the GM pod on it if in fact you NEED the higher airflow. Also you MUST relocate the map line to another port. The throttle body is not bad at all. The new style injectors are good, it's the old dome style that gave it a bad rap. If your intake is not ported to match the tbi then honestly there's no point in using it though.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, just throw the GM pod on it if in fact you NEED the higher airflow. Also you MUST relocate the map line to another port. The throttle body is not bad at all. The new style injectors are good, it's the old dome style that gave it a bad rap. If your intake is not ported to match the tbi then honestly there's no point in using it though.

Not entirely true! I had a 454 bore Marine TBI on a stock bore Edelbrock TBI manifold with a 1" open center spacer on a stock long block with headers and 1.6 full roller rockers years ago. Power difference is noticeable in the higher rpms. It was a very good running setup.

Reaction score
It's all stock as of right now I'll try swapping that vacume line in the morning and see if it helps. Thanks for all the input. Hopefully this helps