Holder suburbans? Anybody out there have one? Would like to see pictures thanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I would like to see pictures of the GMT400 series Holden Suburbans. Didn't know these existed before something l saw online. A right hand drive Chevy truck just sounds cool

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I meant Holden, stupid auto correct! I know there's a few Aussies and Kiwis on this forum, would love to see pictures of your trucks and read your stories, thanks

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
I meant Holden, stupid auto correct! I know there's a few Aussies and Kiwis on this forum, would love to see pictures of your trucks and read your stories, thanks

They are for sure some of the rarest GMT400s out there. I dont think Aussies care so much for vehicles like the suburban, they prefer smaller ones, hence why the Ute is so popular. Otherwise I'm sure youd see them around much more on here. I'm interested in seeing them too! (Btw you are able to edit thread titles)

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
They are for sure some of the rarest GMT400s out there. I dont think Aussies care so much for vehicles like the suburban, they prefer smaller ones, hence why the Ute is so popular. Otherwise I'm sure youd see them around much more on here. I'm interested in seeing them too! (Btw you are able to edit thread titles)
There's a new member on here that sent me a file of the 98-99 Holden Burb brochure recently. He also had several items of information about the trucks; for instance they're very rare (less than 800 made over 4 years) and were very expensive on initial purchase. His truck new cost over 90,000 AUD. Not sure of the exchange rate but that's a lot of money.

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
There's a new member on here that sent me a file of the 98-99 Holden Burb brochure recently. He also had several items of information about the trucks; for instance they're very rare (less than 800 made over 4 years) and were very expensive on initial purchase. His truck new cost over 90,000 AUD. Not sure of the exchange rate but that's a lot of money.
That’s about $62,400 US, crazy!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
That’s about $62,400 US, crazy!
He bought his truck from the original owner and was told he paid that for it. I think GM's idea with the Burb in this part of the world was to have a high end big utility to compete with the Nissan and Toyota offering and the Land Rover. I think that $$ is around twice what the North American version was. All the Aussie ones were 4wd, and either had the 5.7 vortec or the 6.5 duramax. IIRC he said the ratio was around 2/3 gas over diesel. I guess when you know only a Burb will do the job, you'll pay for the privilege. I think the '21s are topping out around $85K from what I have been hearing....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Were the Holden Suburbans built in the U.S. and then exported? If so, a huge part of that price may be customs fees in Australia. I don't know how it works with vehicles coming direct from the manufacturer, but I have heard horror stories about the fees individuals pay when importing a vehicle to Australia.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Were the Holden Suburbans built in the U.S. and then exported? If so, a huge part of that price may be customs fees in Australia. I don't know how it works with vehicles coming direct from the manufacturer, but I have heard horror stories about the fees individuals pay when importing a vehicle to Australia.

Richard

Built in Silao, Mexico and then imported to Australia and New Zealand apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Suburban#Holden_Suburban

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Yes that's what he said. Apparently Silao built a lot of export models; that's where both of my Burbs were built. All of the exported Suburbans were not made there though, Pinger's truck came from Janesville, Wisconsin.
Some of the extra $$ undoubtedly is customs fees, but a big chunk of it is probably the conversion. That can't be quick or cheap. The dashboard is from a rhd trailblazer, and the air conditioning and brake systems underhood come from that platform too. GM used stuff in inventory since they weren't building many of these Burbs.
There's also Aussie C3500s that were built for export, built rhd, for ambulance service. Interestingly enough, these trucks have a mirror image GMT 400 dashboard. Don't know how many of these were made but probably not too many. There's a member on here who has one that he built a flatbed for; don't remember his screen name but it's a very interesting build thread.

Last edited: