Hobbs 96 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hobbs,

What pillar and gauge package do you have?

Also, did you paint or dye the pillar? I've been reading about people using "dye" to color there plastic interior parts. Is that better than paint?

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hobbs,

What pillar and gauge package do you have?

Also, did you paint or dye the pillar? I've been reading about people using "dye" to color there plastic interior parts. Is that better than paint?
Speedhut gauges. Custom face (by speedhut), and I did dye the plastics. Details are back a few posts in this build thread.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK Hobbs you made me check my hood lever and it is definitely a truck. My theory is that the real trucks got truck emblems and the rolling brothels with all the fancy stuff got the car emblem because their owners likely didn't know what a truck is. I will be ducking and running now before someone thinks this isn't a joke !

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Hey man, what did you end up doing for the front diff bushings if I may ask.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found the ones that go on the diff itself. The passenger side ones I refused because they are unobtanium that I could figure out

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
The ones in this mount?

You must be registered for see images attach

Or this PN?
(15962663)

Thanks for any info. The one on my diff is seriously gone.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well...I’ve been working amid the covid 19 pandemic, and so has the wife. Kids have been home from school for a while and we are adapting to teaching while working full time. I also teach at a local university, so the transition to online everything for the course has been challenging.

I did manage to get some goodies for the truck.

First up is a different lift pump that will provide a more stable fuel pressure. I was finding under WOT that my lift pump couldn’t keep up. Probabaly not a big deal, but I don’t want to strain my injection pump if I don’t need to. This new lift pump should put out 10-12 at idle and drop to 4-6 under WOT.

Second item will allow the truck to be heard more pronounced than the 4” diamond eye exhaust kit. A dual downfire JL stealthbox, and even in the correct gray. These boxes sound absolutely amazing. I had one in college and at that time they were 750 new. All cleaned up and ready for a pair of new subs. I have included a photo from my old college truck that shows the final installed setup. I will lose my tire tool change kit, but with the lift that kit is essentially useless at this point.

Other goodies include finding some diesel supplement manuals for the glovebox. I now have a full set of 1996 Chevy and gmc manuals with the supplement and warranty information.

And finally since I’ve been paying Attention to the interior, I finally ordered some new ACC carpet. I ordered several samples and medium gray is about as close as I can get. Rock auto had the best pricing at the time I ordered.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well not much exciting has occurred. I did get the new lift pump installed after a few diesel baths. It’s providing around 11 psi pretty consistently, and down to 8 or so under wot (no load). I’m happy with the upgrade.

New turbo and tune and the other goodies are waiting patiently to be installed. We decided to finally landscape the house, and I decided to save a boat load and do it myself. So 900 pavers, 20 tons of rock, and 12 tons of topsoil were ordered and I’ve been working on that for the last few weeks. In the stockpile pic, the left pile is about half of what was finally delivered.

Here’s an obligatory mileage pic, and a pic from a short cruise in honor of June 5 (6.5 day).

Last edited: