hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheChad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which hitch do you prefer when towing? I just got my Rhino Hitch.

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
WOW very nice!

I'm too cheap for that, I just get whatever drop each particular truck needs and a ball or two (whatever its going to be primarily towing) and keep it with that truck. Repeat for the next truck.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a B&W tow & stow. I'm pretty happy with it. I buy their products when I can because the factory is close to where I live and I know several people who work there.

That Rhino looks pretty sweet. The single pin adjust looks like it would be easier to use. Although I like having the option to swing the b&w under and get it out of the way without removing the hitch.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Maybe you guys could help me. I'm a standard drop hitch Curt/Reese kind of guy. Use regular ball hitch for the light duty stuff, pintle hitch for heavy equipment. Big thing is I don't tow very frequently at all to know better. Do these kinds of hitches actually work or live up to the hype?

I saw ads for the Gen-Y hitches for months before I actually saw a price for one...Eek. I've seen all kinds of gimmicks for 5th wheels, too - torsion bars, airbags, little shocks, weight distribution add-ons, etc. The quick adjustability seems like a neat feature, but I couldn't help but picture moving parts becoming wallowed out or galling over time.

Which models made a difference for you guys? Do you feel safer with one of these? Or just features that make the traveling easier?

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe you guys could help me. I'm a standard drop hitch Curt/Reese kind of guy. Use regular ball hitch for the light duty stuff, pintle hitch for heavy equipment. Big thing is I don't tow very frequently at all to know better. Do these kinds of hitches actually work or live up to the hype?

I saw ads for the Gen-Y hitches for months before I actually saw a price for one...Eek. I've seen all kinds of gimmicks for 5th wheels, too - torsion bars, airbags, little shocks, weight distribution add-ons, etc. The quick adjustability seems like a neat feature, but I couldn't help but picture moving parts becoming wallowed out or galling over time.

Which models made a difference for you guys? Do you feel safer with one of these? Or just features that make the traveling easier?
For me the B&W lives up to the hype. I'd say I hook onto at least 20 different bumper pull trailers on a regular basis. Sometimes 3 or 4 different trailers a day. Being able to change the ball size and hitch height in seconds is a big time saver.

I do carry a pintle just in case I need it, but all my heavy towing is on goosenecks. The b&w never has to come out of the reciever since it folds under.

Just my opinion, but I think the gen y and other expensive gadgets are really for professional drivers doing long hauls or people traveling the country with campers etc. Most of my towing is around the farm, or less than 50 miles so I've never felt the need for it, but I can see why someone driving for long streches would want to maximize ride quality.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I’m like you with the standard hitch stuff as I don’t tow all that often. Airbags or air shocks however I would certainly recommend. I decided to put Gabriel HiJackers on the rear of my 90 c1500 since they were pretty much the same price as good standard shocks that day. Little more work on the install with routing the airlines and mounting the fill valve but well worth it. Is nice that now when the truck is loaded with firewood, or hooked to the 20 foot flatbed with two quads on it, I can add some air and level it out which transfers weight back to the steer tires. And when it’s empty I can bleed it down to 20 lbs and it rides just a tad stiffer than most empty trucks but not so harsh as it hurts. If I was towing on a regular basis I would go helper airbags with good shocks but for occasional towing the air shocks were a good compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Note taken. I put add-a-leafs on my ½ ton truck but the rear is still squishy for a stack of 5 leafs, especially compared to the front. I'm torn because it works great for articulation off-road at slow speeds. It's actually helped in a few situations aside of my passenger rear shock needing a little more extension. I can't seem to choose if I want good towing or good unloaded. I should probably just upgrade my whole leaf pack up, really.

I have another truck with add-on bags that I keep below the "recommended minimum," otherwise it rides like a covered wagon. Rides nice unloaded with just a pound or two in them.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
We use a Harbor Freight weight distributing hitch on our race car tow pig, and it's worth it. I can't tell you how many times Houston drivers have dove in front of me and I had to hammer the brakes to keep from arranging a meeting with their maker. This style hitch makes the trailer track true. https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-lb-capacity-weight-distributing-hitch-system-67649.html

I have a Harbor Freight, Reese, and Curt WD hitch. One for the 1500, one for the dually with camper, and one for dually without camper. For everything else, which is usually light, I either use a WD head without bars or an El cheapo drop hitch.