High Temps Solved???? Finally???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just advancements in technology. Back in the day everybody bought three and four row cores because that was the only way to get a thicker radiator. There's a limit to how wide the tubing rows can be with copper and brass radiators. With aluminum radiators, you can make the rows wider, and therefore you need fewer. The number of rows don't matter as much with aluminum radiators. Brass and copper are more effective at heat transfer, but their tubing row design limitations mean that aluminum radiators are more efficient. Buy a decent quality aluminum radiator and be done.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's just advancements in technology. Back in the day everybody bought three and four row cores because that was the only way to get a thicker radiator. There's a limit to how wide the tubing rows can be with copper and brass radiators. With aluminum radiators, you can make the rows wider, and therefore you need fewer. The number of rows don't matter as much with aluminum radiators. Brass and copper are more effective at heat transfer, but their tubing row design limitations mean that aluminum radiators are more efficient. Buy a decent quality aluminum radiator and be done.

Even these "gimick" radiators seem to cool well and with all aluminum construction will certainly last longer than the typical parts store replacements or even stock GM ones that fail at the seam to the plastic tanks every few years. You can get a 3 row radiator that will cool most engines adequately for $350 or spend close to $1000 on a BeCool. 34x17 or 34x19 core will cool just about anything. After moving a couple of headlight wire mounting clips and trimming a couple of tabs on the lower core support that held the stock plastic fan shroud the 34x19" radiator and shroud dropped right in my Express van using a Flexalite GMT400 fan mounting kit for a 34x17" radiator. They make a kit for the 19" tall radiator in a GMT400 but my core support on the Express is a couple of inches taller and the shorter, flat bracket for the 17" tall radiator was a near perfect fit.