High Temps Solved???? Finally???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So ever since Ive had my 1990 SS454 (2 years) Ive had high temp readings, 230' or so and I was never comfortable with that. I made sure everything was up to factory standards also, water pump, shroud, proper factory fan in the proper location with in the shroud, fan clutch, thermostat, new hoses blah balh blah.
Recently had a heart transplant ( the truck not me) and went with a crate 502HO. I was hoping that somehow this probl;em would go away but alas it was the sameo-sameo.
After talking with some of our members with the same problems it looked like the solution was going to cost me some dough but I aint going to over heat this new motor, so off to my favorite hot rod garage for a new 3 row aluminum rad, shroud, 2 16" Spal fans, relays, and all the other electrical stuff needed. First time out it did ok running at around 200' (keep in mind we are in the middle of our high heat season 110+) This was with the A/C blowing and stopping at signals FOREVER, tuned out one of the fans became unplugged. So another trip to the garage to secure the plug and fix a little oil cooler leak.
Back on the road which was Wed. I believe and it was cooking at 3:30PM, about 120+, drove around 20 miles in some traffic, slow drive thru Wal-Mart parking lot, a few burn outs and back home, never went over 185 in fact stayed closer to 180', man was I happy.
Did have a little prob with amp draw cause those Spal fans draw some amps (22A @) but I am a firm believer that they are the best, they create quite a rukus lol.
Today we installed a 150Amp Alternator with all appropriate wiring and it looks to have enough at hot idle to run everything the truck has.
So color me happy, it was a long costly adventure but the results are a succes YIPPEE (so far)
Bobby V

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, last 454 I had was in a 79 Malibu with a 3 core alum. rad and Ford Taurus fan. Only time got hot was when I forgot to turn the fan on. Going down the road didn't need it, cooled itself. This was a 10:1 iron headed motor...

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far as I know, any more than two rows on an aluminum radiator is wasted--or a sign of crappy Chinese radiator design. But I'm ready to learn something.

You may be 100% correct but you wont learn it from me. As i said I think I had everything in place, including a fairly new 2 row rad, and the set up just wouldnt do the job. I admit that the biggest change was the Spal fans and most likely they would have done the job by them selves but it didnt happen that way.
The rad had to come out anyway to mount the shroud & fans so I thought if it needed to be replaced ( had quite a bot of rust) I would save the labor and do it once, waste of money, dont know but whatever, the combo worked so Im happy.
I am no fan (no pun intended) of Chinese products by a long shot but just because a product is made there does not make it an automatic inferior one, just sayin
Bobby V

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far as I know, any more than two rows on an aluminum radiator is wasted--or a sign of crappy Chinese radiator design. But I'm ready to learn something.
I replaced the OEM with a 3 pass aluminum Chinese (I guess) Rad and I've been very happy with it. I bought a 2 pass and it was a POS and I returned it. Looked like a monkey made it it was so bad. Then I sprung the extra for the 3 pass and it's been great. The difference next to the OEM was huge. I live in So Cal and sometimes it can be 100+ stuck in traffic. I have it paired with a Hayden Severe Duty clutch and my temp gauge never moves from its spot

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96-2dr...Is that a KKS radiator?

My friend has one that is 34x17 with a pair of 16" Flex-a-lite syclones on his 6.0L swapped 97 here in Texas. On a 105°F day blasting the a/c it does not get over 200°F with a 195°F stat. I picked a KKS radiator that is 2" taller 34x19" and a matching shrould for my 383 along with 16" 3,000 cfm Flex-a-lite flex waves that pull another 1,000 cfm than his 16" syclones. Hopefully my 383 keeps its cool.