high output alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey all! so im in the market for a new alternator. now, im running a moderate stereo and i would like to get a high output alternator is possible. anyone have any insight? 96 5.7 w/ a/c

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
now my other question is, what amperage does a stock alternator put out?

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I remember, there were 3 different size alternators. A 100 amp, 110 amp, and 140 amp. I'm not 100 percent sure of the amperages, but I remember 3 for some reason. Mine went out last year and I didn't have the money for a brand new 110 to replace what I had. I called the local salvage yard and picked up a 140 amp for about $35 (would be more new). It was pretty much bolt in. The belt was a little tight, but the tension pulley was able to let out enough to compensate. I've been running it since and have since got the correct belt which was just a little longer. I have no issues with it keeping the battery charged. I'm also running a modest stereo consisting of an aftermarket head unit and one amp. I also have done the 4 high mod and added 2 sets of fog lights. Now all that being said, when I have everything on, my needle on the battery gauge doesn't move a bit. I've put a few miles on it at night running everything just to see what it would do and had no issues.

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck (98 Sub with the 5.7) actually lists 2 different belts. One for the smaller alt, one for the 140. So I'm guessing it was an option for my Sub. Not too sure, I haven't really looked in to it that much, but it is very easy to do. Mine bolted right in. The only issue I had was getting the original belt on, but I was having trouble keeping the tension pulley in the right spot. My hand kept slipping off the wrench.

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback guys! im going to get my parts guy to call some auto parts places tmrw and see what i can get price wise

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Might be a good idea to figure out what kind of charge amperage you actually need for your stereo. What are your amps fused for? If your amps want to pull 200A at full output then a 140A alternator isn't going to help you much. Probably not as common these days, but some older class A/B amps are fused for 100A or more.