High mount brake light...questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LED third brake light assemblies are pretty reasonable. That'd be a better choice if you want to go the LED route. All the exterior bulbs on my dually are LED, I also have a digital flasher. No issues.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I modded the 3rd brake light. I have projector lenses leds where the normal 194 bulb would go. I drilled holes for them to protrude out of the lense and be flush. sealed with silicone. perfect or so I thought... then I realized that they only work with the interior lights and with the interior lights on I cant see SH! T out the back window. so I ran a completely new wire, Jumped off of a 12v Aux plug beside the cig lighters circuit. to another oem cargo light circuit and ran that wire all the way to the projector lense bulbs. I jumped the cargo lights output to the illumination terminal so it illuminates when the circuit is on and not with the dash lights. I cut the original wires and sealed them up in there and there I had an independent cargo light that didnt operate with the interior lights. being projector lenses and supposedly 80W a piece they are bright as hell! but then I had the old wires up there doing nothing.... so I grabbed a couple of those silicone 194 leds and soldered them to the ends of the oem cargo wiring and tucked them nicely up into the lense. so now they work as intended and I have a separate super bright cargo lights.

If I never blew those first set of led bulbs I had, this mod probably would not have happened.

Al

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I modded the 3rd brake light. I have projector lenses leds where the normal 194 bulb would go. I drilled holes for them to protrude out of the lense and be flush. sealed with silicone. perfect or so I thought... then I realized that they only work with the interior lights and with the interior lights on I cant see SH! T out the back window. so I ran a completely new wire, Jumped off of a 12v Aux plug beside the cig lighters circuit. to another oem cargo light circuit and ran that wire all the way to the projector lense bulbs. I cut the original wires and sealed them up in there and there I had an independent cargo light that didnt operate with the interior lights. being projector lenses and supposedly 80W a piece they are bright as hell! but then I had the old wires up there doing nothing.... so I grabbed a couple of those silicone 194 leds and soldered them to the ends of the oem cargo wiring and tucked them nicely up into the lense. so now they work as intended and I have a separate super bright cargo lights.

If I never blew those first set of led bulbs I had, this mod probably would not have happened.

Al
Your cargo light only operated with the interior lights?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
yes the cargo light circuit only operates if the interior lights are on and the cargo switch is on. that's how they were manufactured. so to be useful the door had to be opened or the interior light switch had to be on.... annoying as hell! I wanted to use them to illuminate a work area... and I can now!

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes the cargo light circuit only operates if the interior lights are on and the cargo switch is on.
I only found this out recently. Quick question: can I leave the cargo light switch on all the time without affecting the battery?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I have a write up over on GMTC on this mod. this is a farm truck that's my toy and is definitely not for hauling kids, that's what the burb is for.

both lights on side view....
You must be registered for see images attach

oem cargo circuit with soldered silicone leds...

projector bulbs on with the cargo bulbs...

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a write up over on GMTC on this mod. this is a farm truck that's my toy and is definitely not for hauling kids, that's what the burb is for.

both lights on side view....

oem cargo circuit with soldered silicone leds...

projector bulbs on with the cargo bulbs...
I had to replace mine with an anzo led one. The old one would leak in the cab when it rained, even after applying silicone to it. Also had tiny cracks in it.