Hid projector retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard that the TSX projectors are basically one of the very best. They are a low beam only one and I really like the idea of a bi-xenon projector. Sure we don't need bi-xenon because we have separate his and lows but HID highs aren't the best becuase HIDs aren't good to be turned on and off a lot. Bi-xenon projectors will be slightly dimmer than a comparable low only projector but still very good and way better than a gmt-400 headlight I think.
Dont quote me on this but im thinking they are useing both high and low beam in the projector. Im probly wrong but i will find out tomorrow and let yall know.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont quote me on this but im thinking they are useing both high and low beam in the projector. Im probly wrong but i will find out tomorrow and let yall know.

I guess I don't understand how that is possible. The TSX projectors are designed to be a low beam only projector. They have a fixed cutoff shield and so they aren't a bi-xenon projectors like the mini-H1s which have a small solenoid that moved the cut off shield out of the way to create the high beam.

jonwin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright so these do require cutting for the obs trucks just because the housing is so damn small. So what i did was cut a hole in the back that fit the projector perfectly and installed it from the back as seen in the 4th picture. I didnt have any of the hardware on it yet but i used four small 8/32 fine thread phillips machined screws and nuts to hold them in once i cut the hole. The tolerances for the screw holes were incredibly tight so it had to be basically perfect. It wasn't too hard i just had to take my time and made sure i did it right the first time.

As for the projectors i got them for 70 dollars shipped from the retrofit source because they are the "previous model" but I'm pretty sure they are the 4.1s because they don't have the squirrel finders or anything. I haven't mounted them yet because I'm waiting for my new bulbs because you have to use H1 bulbs i can't use the ones from my previous PnP kit. I will upload pics of the beam pattern as soon as i get everything (Bulbs should be here monday or tuesday). I really liked the morimoto minis just because of the bixenon( which i still have to figure out how to wire up suggestions would be appreciated plus i really want to use the existing hi beam switch) and the size which is basically perfect. I wouldn't go with anything bigger personally.

jonwin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did end up doing the color mod to add a little blue to the top of the cut off. Cant really tell what it did cause i don't have the right bulbs yet lol should be good tho

And for any guys wanting to do a retrofit i definitely recommend Theretrofitsource.com as a place to buy. Quick responses on questions, fair deals, and if you have any problems they will sort them out for sure. They are a great place for parts and the service is amazing.

Last edited:

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
acording to www.retrosolutionsllc.com the tsx is both high and low beam. I dont now if that means they can be used for eiather or. or if that means they can be used for both at the same time. Im honestly clueless on the projector deal it is just my buddy is always talking about them. lol but check out the web site and maybe it will make it more clear. once you get to main menu on the page click on the projector optics button and scroll down to the tsx projectors they are $194.99 each. I hope this helps. please clarify what ever you find out. thanks...

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I did this mod this is how I would wire it up.

I would essentially use a relay harness like many people use with any form of HIDs. I would run the Bi-xenon "activation" wires off of the high-beam relay. I would also run the factory Hi-Beams off of the Hi-beam relay but I would put an additional toggle switch between it so that you could turn off the factory high beams and run only he bi-xenon highs.

I made a quick-n-dirty wiring diagram. Hopefully you understand what I'm saying a little better.
You must be registered for see images attach

I realized that i forgot to put in the diode that would be required between the high and low beam relays. You'd need a diode between the signal terminals of the high and low beam relays so that the low beam relay stays active when the high beams are engaged.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing. I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on it.

jonwin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i have got everything done and installed heres a pic of the cutoff still have a little adjusting and tweaking to do but here yah go

You must be registered for see images attach

And for the bixenon wiring i decided that i don't want my halogens to come on at all so i just left the bulbs in as dummies and did the hi 4 mod.

Doing the mod allowed me to keep the lows on while the hi beams are on also. With this is used the pigtail for the bixenon and wired it into the hi beam wires so when i flick the hi beams on the solenoid flicks down and i get a fully functional bixenon projector using the factory hi low switch.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
The TL's would be nice in an OBS!
I have an '08 TL and have been spoiled compared to my Truck.

I'll eventually be putting some Clear lenses and modding the Cutoff.
The Truck'll get Mini-H1's with clear lenses and a modified shield as well.

jonwin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i have been driving for a few days with these things and the output i think is great definitely lights up the road very well especially with the hi's on. Its kinda trippy having a cutoff line everywhere lol

But overall I'm very happy with the ease of the install and the output of the lights.

I would dig some TLs in my truck lol but the minis are pretty damn nice for 70 bucks