Hey I need some advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattyhewson

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am new to the group and am in need of help. I have a 1996 Chevy k1500 5.7l that I pulled apart to do a intake gasket job. While I was in there I decided to replace the original injectors and replaced it with a new Spider injector set up. This is one of my first solo jobs and I got in a hurry and did not mark the distributor when pulling it out. I was watching a A1 video on YT to follow. I assembled it all and installed the distributor with the motor being TDC and went turn it over and when it ran it backfired like crazy. I then tried it again several times to get it right by pulling the distributor out and getting it to TDC and to no avail, No start. I went ahead and replaced the distributor as well and still no changes. Thanks in advance!

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you're 180° out. Spin the engine over one time time then try again

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
What he said ^^ Pull number one spark plug. Cover spark plug hole with your thumb and bring the engine up to tdc. If it tried to blow your thumb away, you're at TDC compression stroke and your rotor should be pointing at number 1. If it's pointing at 6, you're 180 out.

Mattyhewson

Reaction score
Well I did pull #1 spark plug. I inserted a screw driver to make sure that the piston is at the top. Still to no avail. I also did the finger over the spark plug hole and that was a 2 person job unfortunately nothing. Anything else?
I'll try again later today to get it TDC and piston up at the top and realign it up the distributor.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
There is another way but it's longer and more involved. Pull the driver side valve cover. Bring number one up to TDC. Look at the cylinder 3 rocker arms. Is the exhaust valve down (open)? Then your distributor should be pointing at cylinder 6. Is the Intake valve down (open)? Then your distributor should be pointing at cylinder 1.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is another way but it's longer and more involved. Pull the driver side valve cover. Bring number one up to TDC. Look at the cylinder 3 rocker arms. Is the exhaust valve down (open)? Then your distributor should be pointing at cylinder 6. Is the Intake valve down (open)? Then your distributor should be pointing at cylinder 1.
If your on #1 TDC compression stroke, both the exhaust and intake rocker arms will have no tention on the valves what so ever. As this point, the distributor will be pointing to #1 spark plug wire. This fires the spark plug forcing the pistiion down. Once the piston reaches the bottom of its stroke, the exhaust valves opens, then as the piston reaches the top of this stroke, and starts its way back down, the intake valve opens pulling fuel-air into the cylinder once the piston reaches the bottom of this stroke, it starts the compression stroke again to complete the 4 stroke cycle.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
If your on #1 TDC compression stroke, both the exhaust and intake rocker arms will have no tention on the valves what so ever. As this point, the distributor will be pointing to #1 spark plug wire. This fires the spark plug forcing the pistiion down. Once the piston reaches the bottom of its stroke, the exhaust valves opens, then as the piston reaches the top of this stroke, and starts its way back down, the intake valve opens pulling fuel-air into the cylinder once the piston reaches the bottom of this stroke, it starts the compression stroke again to complete the 4 stroke cycle.
Indeed, I know how the 4 cycle process works (unless that was meant for OP).

I was just giving him additional visual cues to check for since he asked.

Not to further muddy the waters, OP, but basically if you cant verify by the "thumb blow off method" look at the valves when you're on your TDC mark:

If ANY of the following valves are down (open), then you are on cylinder 1 compression stroke and rotor should point to #1: 2,5,7 Exhaust 3,4,8 Intake (cylinder 1 will be completely off lift)

If ANY of the following valves are down (open), then you are on cylinder 6 compression stroke and rotor should point to #6: 2,5,7 Intake 3,4,8 Exhaust (cylinder 6 will be completely off lift)

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is the Intake valve down (open)? Then your distributor should be pointing at cylinder 1.
This is why I posted what I did. On #1 TDC compression stroke, both rocker arms are are off of the valves. Of the intake valve is open as you describe in yuour post, then you are no longer on #1 TDC. #1 would be on bottom dead center, not top dead center. Now to the OP, it is very easy to be off when stabbing your distributor. I have had mine in and out of my 97 5.7L maybe 12 times since I have owned my truck. Keep in mine that the rotor needs to point to #1 on TDC compression stroke, once the distributor is seated all the way down on the intake. It may be necessary to turn the oil pump shaft so it lines up with the distributor drive slot at the bottom of the drive gear.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
This is why I posted what I did. On #1 TDC compression stroke, both rocker arms are are off of the valves. Of the intake valve is open as you describe in yuour post, then you are no longer on #1 TDC.
Which is why I said cylinder 3, not cylinder one. Re-read what I typed.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which is why I said cylinder 3, not cylinder one. Re-read what I typed.
No problem, just when reading what you posted, its confusing. Simply put, both intake and exhaust valves will be closed on #1 cylinder @ TDC on the compression stroke. There is no need to look at any other valves. I look at the fly wheel and use the timing cover mark to line up the grove on the fly wheel. I use my thumb over #1 cylinder after removing the spark plug. I get my wife to bump spin the engine over untill I feel the pressure from the cylinder pushing past my thumb and watching for the groved line in the fly wheel to line up with the timing chain cover. Thats what I do. We all have our way of doing things.
You must be registered for see images attach