Hey everyone, Just picked up a 2001 Savana

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danbus

Reaction score
Hey first time posting. I picked up a 2001 GMC Savana for a camping/motorcycle hauler. I'm not exactly sure if it falls under the gmt-400 nomenclature but it does have a 5.7 350 with L31 code.

It has a miss and and an engine code related to the csfi injector setup that seems to be problematic in these particular engines

So I'm trying to figure out order of operations for how I'm going to attack the repairs

I loaned out my CC to rock auto for a hour or so and ordered the GM upgraded spider assembly, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter and a set of felpro upper intake manifold gaskets

The drivers side catalyst has fouled and the matrix is loose inside so it needs to be replaced, I'm not sure weather to replace the catted Y pipe or to go with an offroad Y pipe and delete the rear 02s in the tune. I'm not looking to make her fast just reliable

Same with adding an efan setup, the gains and reduced parasitic drag seem great but the mechanical fan is simple stupid and I like that I can audibly hear it working.

So I'm looking to talk to other guys who have vans similar anyone have an offroad Y pipe ? If so what brand ?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230501_192133.jpg
    20230501_192133.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230502-101647_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230502-101647_Gallery.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 9

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey first time posting. I picked up a 2001 GMC Savana for a camping/motorcycle hauler. I'm not exactly sure if it falls under the gmt-400 nomenclature but it does have a 5.7 350 with L31 code.

It has a miss and and an engine code related to the csfi injector setup that seems to be problematic in these particular engines

So I'm trying to figure out order of operations for how I'm going to attack the repairs

I loaned out my CC to rock auto for a hour or so and ordered the GM upgraded spider assembly, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter and a set of felpro upper intake manifold gaskets

The drivers side catalyst has fouled and the matrix is loose inside so it needs to be replaced, I'm not sure weather to replace the catted Y pipe or to go with an offroad Y pipe and delete the rear 02s in the tune. I'm not looking to make her fast just reliable

Same with adding an efan setup, the gains and reduced parasitic drag seem great but the mechanical fan is simple stupid and I like that I can audibly hear it working.

So I'm looking to talk to other guys who have vans similar anyone have an offroad Y pipe ? If so what brand ?

Thanks
Don't waste your time or money on electric fans. They will NOT keep that body style van from overheating. These vans often require the engine driven fan for cooling even at 80+ mph on the highway. On a hot day my fan clutch will lock and unlock to keep the engine cool at highway speeds while cruising and ALWAYS has. Put an 11 bladed GMT400 tow package fan (GM 1580739) also used on the 03+ vans and a new clutch on it and leave well enough alone.

I have had very good luck with Thunderbolt spun cats. Get the 3" units if your van currently has 3" after the stock cats. Mine was 3" from practically the manifolds. If you are unlucky and had the 1-7/8" off the manifold that is not overly difficult to correct. 2.25" flange, stepped up to 2.5" or 3" right off the manifolds, new pipes to the high flow cats and it is a done deal. Holley makes a really nice pair of inexpensive 2.5" outlet manifolds that flow far better than the stock ones as well and are an improved material less prone to cracking every 60K miles. Catless is not my idea of fun, smelling unburned hydrocarbons everytime you stop at a traffic light or drivethrough.

This is how the factory 3" cat and pipes to the muffler van exhausts were made. The pipes bump up to 3" OD, shortly after they exit the stock manifolds at 2.25".

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: