Here’s what I got, here’s what I want to do.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The primary difference is the angle of the bolts around the exhaust crossover. Those center two bolts are not at the same angle as the two on each end.

Those heads are the only ones I'm aware of that are specifically set-up for TBI engines.

I put aluminum heads on my '88 K1500, but I used older-style heads where all the intake manifold bolts are at the same angle. That meant I needed an older-style intake manifold, which then meant I had to do a bunch of adapting and re-engineering/fabricating.

I'd buy the Summit heads if I were doing this again.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The primary difference is the angle of the bolts around the exhaust crossover. Those center two bolts are not at the same angle as the two on each end.
Exactly! IIRC, they're drilled at 72* instead of 90*. This picture illustrates (somewhat) the difference. If your heads on ebay don't say Summit 170 on the end they're not the same. BTW these heads are made by Trick Flow, heart shaped (fast burn design) 62cc (as apposed to ~65CC) combustion chamber which gives you a little more compression ratio. The angled plugs are supposed to help with flame spread but, that's debatable among some folks. It is a PITA to change plugs and keep the wires from melting with most headers. YMMV

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For 300 hp, I'd work the TBI heads. You're going to need to re-tune the TBI.
On my stepside's motor, I was targetting 400 hp, so I plonked some Vortecs on it and put a TBI adapter on a Summit manifold. Then I ditched the TBI and went Holley Sniper.
If your aim is 500 hp, I'd pony up for aftermarket heads and never even bother with the TBI.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly! IIRC, they're drilled at 72* instead of 90*. This picture illustrates (somewhat) the difference. If your heads on ebay don't say Summit 170 on the end they're not the same. BTW these heads are made by Trick Flow, heart shaped (fast burn design) 62cc (as apposed to ~65CC) combustion chamber which gives you a little more compression ratio. The angled plugs are supposed to help with flame spread but, that's debatable among some folks. It is a PITA to change plugs and keep the wires from melting with most headers. YMMV

You must be registered for see images attach
Thank you for that. I’ll probably end up grabbing those summit heads. But it appears they’re out of stock at the moment. My main goal is trying to do this without having to jack with the computer if I can help it. If I have to have a chip burned then so be it but I’ve got to figure out where to do that too. But ideally I’m hoping to reach 300 hp without messing with the computer. Don’t even know if that’s possible but I’ve read places were people think it is so maybe?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll probably end up grabbing those summit heads. But it appears they’re out of stock at the moment.
Yeah, I had to wait close to a Month for mine too. They'll usually have them in stock from time to time but, maybe the demand for TBI heads is not as high as it used to be.

But ideally I’m hoping to reach 300 hp without messing with the computer. Don’t even know if that’s possible but I’ve read places were people think it is so maybe?
You can probably get by without a "tune" but, IMHO you'll leave a lot of HP and performance on the table.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only concern with the whole computer tuning thing is I have no idea how to do it. I can pull the computer out of a Dashboard and swap a chip easy enough. But it seems like one of those trial and error things where I’m gonna have to pay somebody to burn a bunch of chips before I get it right. I could be way off base from lack of experience but it sounds like expensive

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep digging just trying to find a recipe this part, these heads, this cam, blah blah blah you’ll get these numbers out of it. But trying to find that is I think impossible, or at least I haven’t had any success yet.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no desire in hauling ass. I just simply want a little bit of extra torque and power to be able to tow my trailer to the deer camp and back. I want it to still be reliable so I don’t wanna go crazy. I love this old truck I’m gonna have it for a very long time so I figured it probably wouldn’t hurt to put a fresh motor in 300 hp is plenty that’s all I need.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only concern with the whole computer tuning thing is I have no idea how to do it. I can pull the computer out of a Dashboard and swap a chip easy enough
There are options. It's not black magic. What type of trans do you have in your 92? If it's a manual or a 700R4 (4L60) and not controlled by the ECM, you can get the EBL Flash-II. With some research and playing with it you can get it tuned. It has the ability to automatically "tune" your VE (Volumetric Efficiency) tables which, gets your AFR right.

Or you can go to Gearhead-EFI.com and get help from guys like Dave w (OldSchoolEFI). He put together some spreadsheets that will tune your short term and long term fueling ratios. All you do is data log with TunerPro RT, send him the file, and he'll burn a chip for you.

Another route is to go with an emulator or ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket so you can upgrade your old EPROM with an SST 27SF512 EEPROM so you can flash your own chips.

It's not just about hauling ass, it's about getting it right so it starts and runs properly. HTH :33: