Here’s what I got, here’s what I want to do.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what I have so far is a 92K 1500. It’s currently running just has no power. In my garage I have a 95 350 from a Z 71 sitting on an engine stand. I’m going to take the block in the crank and everything to the machine shop and have it all redone. I have a summit racing 1102 cam, The Edelbrock performer TBI intake, I have done the complete ultimate Tbi mod to include the fuel pressure adjustment shaving the butterflies polishing and radiusing everything the spacer both between the pods and beneath the throttlebody. I even ordered brand new AC Delco matched injectors that were a factory option for the police package cars of these years. Other than that I have long tube headers, no cats etc. my goal is to try to get to 300 hp maybe 370 380 foot pounds of torque. I know it can be done because I’ve read enough places were people have definitely done it. My biggest dilemma is I would really like a recipe. I don’t want to spend thousands of dollars in trial and error that I don’t have. Sorry for the book but I greatly look forward to hearing your input thank you very much.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to offend, but your heads suck and your cam's too small.

I'd start with porting the heads. Headbytes Porting has a pretty good video series on YouTube on TBI heads. I didn't enlargen the combustion chamber like he did, but I did use the rest of his porting tips on my TBI heads.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

.421/.444" lift and 204/214° duration? Honestly, I'd use a bigger cam. You're limited to about .450" lift on a TBI head, but you can definitely go bigger on duration. I'd get as close to .450/.450" and 230/230° as I could. I don't think your heads will flow much more than that. I used a $50 Enginetech "L79 copycat" cam, but people who've used it report lousy gas mileage. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5575839&cc=1031140&jsn=533&jsn=533

All that said, my TBI motor's still on the stand.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what this truck is used for I could care less about gas mileage. However I hear rumors about some kind of hybrid head that flows like a Vortech but is set up for the Tbi. That’s kind of the route I’m trying to go I’m just hoping somebody has a good recipe or a part number or something to help me figure some of this out because I’m finding a lot of conflicting information.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was reading through a bunch of the older threads and one of the members named Gramps seems to have exactly what I’m looking for. I sent her a message I’m hoping he’ll get it eventually I would love to know his recipe because I want to copy what he did.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However I hear rumors about some kind of hybrid head that flows like a Vortech but is set up for the Tbi.
These actually flow a little better than Vortec heads. I've had these on my engine for a couple years now with no issues. They bolt right up to my Edelbrock 3704 intake and all of the accessories bolt right up too. I was watching Engine Masters where they took identical cast iron and aluminum heads and ran them on the dyno. The aluminum heads ran cooler and produced 5 more HP.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
These actually flow a little better than Vortec heads. I've had these on my engine for a couple years now with no issues. They bolt right up to my Edelbrock 3704 intake and all of the accessories bolt right up too. I was watching Engine Masters where they took identical cast iron and aluminum heads and ran them on the dyno. The aluminum heads ran cooler and produced 5 more HP.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108
Looks sweet but wow those are expensive. With that being said I have no idea how much those hybrid heads cost. I appreciate that information I’m definitely going to keep it in mind.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I went back and looked again I must correct my previous statement they’re not that bad actually. I was thinking it was that price for just one that was the price for both that’s actually really good.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a set of aluminum heads for SBC online with the casting number 8374 there’s no other information other than that I’m wondering if these are the heads.