Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Highwayman

Reaction score
I am putting a good, used (35K) older Vortec short block under my 1999 Tahoe's (062) heads and CFI injection and cannot seem to come up with a combination of pushrod/rocker arms that produce proper valve operation. something wierd in there on that ******* stepchild motor?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHICH "Vortec short-block"? 305? 350? Have the heads been milled? Block decked? Unusual-thickness head gaskets?

I'd expect the rockers will have to be self-aligning. The pushrods "should" be OEM length for roller cams.

Biggest problem I see is folks who can't find the true "zero lash" point when trying to adjust the lifter preload. Either they're trying to "spin" the pushrods as they tighten the rocker nuts, expecting the pushrod to stop spinning at "zero lash" (it won't, it'll continue to spin until the lifter has collapsed) or they're adjusting the valves in the wrong order so the lifter isn't on the base circle of the cam lobe.