Help with my c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andyfosgate

Reaction score
I was in need of a vehicle so my wife's uncle said if you can get it going and out of my yard it's yours for $100. So I got it going sort of took it home and for under $500 I had it back on the road. 95 c1500 305. My first chevy truck and probably my favorite Chevy truck body style.
The problem is I live in PA and didn't get it inspected got pulled over. I'm trying to figure out what I need for inspection. The tires are good all lights wipers work. It has some patchable rust on the rockers. There is some play in the steering not sure if that's a problem. It has a homemade exhaust with flexible pipe but it is hung up good doesn't move around or anything. It has been running funny lately. It always starts and idles fine but while driving it acts like it's not getting fuel if you get on it. It just bogs down but if you're easy on it it's fine. I don't have a lot of money to just take it to a shop that's why I didn't get it inspected but now I can't drive it unless it does get inspected or I risk a license suspension. Just hoping someone can point me in the right direction what things should I check myself before I take it to get looked at. I really would like to keep the truck going. Thanks for reading

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the little hose between the fuel pump and sending unit has a crack in it from age and ethanol fuels. Mine did the same thing, changed the pump anyways since I had to lift the bed to change the hose.

Look on Youtube on how to tilt the bed instead of dropping the tank.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First thing you need to do is find out what sort of inspection you need. In some states a 26 year old truck would only need a safety inspection. If that is the case you need to make sure about brakes, lights, etc. You may not have to be concerned about emissions in a truck that old.

My suggestion would be to ask about that requirement first, fix anything obvious and then have it inspected. It might pass or at least they will tell you what you need to work on first. These trucks are fairly notorious about the steering wandering a bit so likely that is not an immediate issue but might be something to look at after you have the immediate concerns taken care of. Good luck and let us know your progress. Welcome to the forum. You have found the right place.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Man, Pennsylvania is tough. In Texas,we had a reprieve from the license and inspection because of the pandemic. That expired in April, but my Burb wouldn't pass inspection because of a bad O2 sensor. Finally got that changed and it passed. But we didn't get pulled over because of the expired license and inspection. Now mind you, my mom doesn't drive like a hot rodder either, but we have been pulled over for that in years past.
It depends on the town and the cop too. We've had situations before where the cops are looking for a similar truck,or they think they are gonna catch a load of drugs or something "because it's an old truck".

Andyfosgate

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I will definitely check that small house between the pump and sending unit. And I'm going to try to figure out exactly what I need to do for inspection I like the truck its comfortable. It's not pretty but gets it done. I'm going to add pictures after work thanks

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had an issue with the fuel hose splitting at the sending unit. Was able to buy a new Denso brand pump cartridge with filter screen from rock auto. I removed the fuel filler tube, rear bumper and all the bed mounting hardware except the rear 2 bolts. I just loosened them about half way. Then I lifted the front of the bed up like a tilt bed using a chain hoist. Gave me all sorts of room. These are great trucks and fairly straightforward. Before I removed my pump assembly, there was a bunch of dirt and junk around the lock ring on the tank. I cleaned it out and blew it out with compressed air so none would fall inside the tank. I also have a soft spot for these body styles, and 67-72. Great trucks.