Help with ignition Timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it was a fuel pressure problem it would run worse at higher rpms, not better .

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't have any problems timing my '94 4.3L with that wire disconnected. It was rock steady on 0 degrees when I set it. Being a '94 and with it jumping around you might need a new distributor.
he said hes revving it up with the connector unplugged..!!!! the knock sensor is likely detecting knocks so it is trying to keep him from blowing the engine.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it was a fuel pressure problem it would run worse at higher rpms, not better .
Not necessarily. Pump shot fuel at low rpmrequires strong fuel volume for adequate pressure. If you don't get that quick burst of fuel on the low end it will stutter like a carb with a bad accelerator pump or even backfire into the intake. Also when you go WFO the ECM lengthens the pulse width for power enrichment. I have had marginally performing fuel systems cause a loss of power at lower engine speeds that suddenly becomes somewhat normal in PE.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me how revving the engine at 0 btdc is going to blow the engine.
Well, one thing, by disconnecting the EST bypass wire, the ECM can't change timing, it's "bypassed". So, KCs aren't an issue.

Lscobra

Reaction score
Knock Counts, sorry
Oh ok thanks. I really dont see a reason why revving to 2500 rpms or so while setting timing has an ill effect. I wanted to see if the mark on the balancer moved through the rpm range. Thats what it feels like its doing under load. It will bog, and power fluctuates until about 3200-3400 rpms and seems normal from there until it shifts.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really dont see a reason why revving to 2500 rpms or so while setting timing has an ill effect. I wanted to see if the mark on the balancer moved through the rpm range. Thats what it feels like its doing under load
That's fine but, you need to set your timing at idle, don't try to adjust it while revving it up.

Lscobra

Reaction score
That's fine but, you need to set your timing at idle, don't try to adjust it while revving it up.
Yeah thats not what i meant to say i was doing. I understand the confusion now. I set the timing at idle. The revved to see any change in upper rpms. It did jump up probly 10 or so degrees at like 2500 rpms by itself. Thats the part i couldnt explain being that the brown wire was disconnected.