Help With Grille/Brush Guard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deven bullis

Employed by the big blue hexagon
Reaction score
I purchased this grille guard off eBay last month for what I thought was a good price, but the price wasn’t worth it. The guard came in with bad mounting brackets and the guard angles down and to the left, the eBay ad also stated the guard was stainless steel but I noticed today it’s starting to rust. Do not buy from DNA Motoring or DPT Motorsport! But I’m looking for a new grille guard that similar to the one I have but with higher quality and I’m asking you guys for yalls help. Thank you!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got really lucky and found a used warn grill guard with the brush guards for $120. A brand new setup looks to be in the $1,000 ish range. I will say the quality is excellent, it is really sturdy and it retains the factory tow hooks as well. The only issue is that the brush guards that go around the headlights vibrate, no big deal once you realize everything else is sturdy.

You must be registered for see images attach

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ooops double post, wont delete

Last edited:

Jade Blizek

Reaction score
all those guards are galvanized they definitly rust out. Find a powder coater locally ( some factory settings also do small work) ask for chrome finish don't let anyone tell you that doesn't exist. Used to do it constantly and the powder if done right will last 20+ years. ask for primer under chrome.
As for mounting brackets find some angle iron drill out holes that match where your tow hooks bolt up and drill your own holes for mounting to the guard. cut some more pieces up drill out 2 holes in the bumper sounds terrifying but its easy and makes an amazingly strong cattle guard
all said and done i found an old one the exact same as this made mounting brackets with 4 pieces of angle iron 4 bolts and 150$ worth of powder

deven bullis

Employed by the big blue hexagon
Reaction score
all those guards are galvanized they definitly rust out. Find a powder coater locally ( some factory settings also do small work) ask for chrome finish don't let anyone tell you that doesn't exist. Used to do it constantly and the powder if done right will last 20+ years. ask for primer under chrome.
As for mounting brackets find some angle iron drill out holes that match where your tow hooks bolt up and drill your own holes for mounting to the guard. cut some more pieces up drill out 2 holes in the bumper sounds terrifying but its easy and makes an amazingly strong cattle guard
all said and done i found an old one the exact same as this made mounting brackets with 4 pieces of angle iron 4 bolts and 150$ worth of powder

I had the guard sent back the producer, I’m buying a TrailFX 81010 Grille Guard now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeckArtist

Reaction score
I've got 2.....a one ton and a half ton stocker that I am going to cut the hoops off and eliminate the smaller middle bars, then paint both black....one for the dually and one for the future truck that will be taking the place of my 05 when it gets paid off. So for those who have painted the chrome bars, what prep did you do first?

I'll be shooting black gloss from an automotive paint gun.

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got 2.....a one ton and a half ton stocker that I am going to cut the hoops off and eliminate the smaller middle bars, then paint both black....one for the dually and one for the future truck that will be taking the place of my 05 when it gets paid off. So for those who have painted the chrome bars, what prep did you do first?

I'll be shooting black gloss from an automotive paint gun.
Degreaser, wetsand, then hit it with 2 coats of roll cage spray paint I picked up at Autozone. It has actually held up very well, especially considering the abuse I put it through.

DeckArtist

Reaction score
Got to wondering today if I ought to try and sell the stock brush guards rather than modify them. I have one from the one ton and one from a half ton, are they worth listing?