Help with Bump stops with 4/6 drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

limited2k

Reaction score
I'll bet if you look at the spindles they're stockers and someone just cut or torched the springs; it'll be pretty easy to tell. Here's a pic of a stock spindle and 2" drop spindle side by side; note where the axle stub is located in relation to the tie rod connection. Stock spindle on left, axle is very low; drop spindle on right has it closer to the center, accomplishing the 2" of drop:

You must be registered for see images attach

If that's the case, the simple solution is replace the stock spindles and cut springs with 2" spindles, 2" springs, and you're set.

Richard

Yeah, I'm going to have to check out what's on the truck to be sure what directions I need to go in. Thank you for your help and the picture to show the differences.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to have to check out what's on the truck to be sure what directions I need to go in. Thank you for your help and the picture to show the differences.
No prob. And, you can ignore the pickle forks in the picture, if your ball joints are still any good and don't need replacing. Since the threads oppose each other in the GMT400 2WD setup it's easy to use the spring tension to break the studs loose from the spindle without using a fork, saving the lives of the ball joint boots. You've probably done it before, just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Richard

limited2k

Reaction score
No prob. And, you can ignore the pickle forks in the picture, if your ball joints are still any good and don't need replacing. Since the threads oppose each other in the GMT400 2WD setup it's easy to use the spring tension to break the studs loose from the spindle without using a fork, saving the lives of the ball joint boots. You've probably done it before, just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Richard
Well that’s if the springs have any tension left depending how much was cut.. lol!

ken Brown

Reaction score
i am having the same issue now that i did my 4.3 to 5.3 ls swap . i had originally did 2 inch spindles and cut 3/4 of a coil out and i was fine for the year ,now this summer i did the ls swap and it is sitting on the bump stops so i am looking at going with belltech 1 inch drop springs .

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
i am having the same issue now that i did my 4.3 to 5.3 ls swap . i had originally did 2 inch spindles and cut 3/4 of a coil out and i was fine for the year ,now this summer i did the ls swap and it is sitting on the bump stops so i am looking at going with belltech 1 inch drop springs .
Because...V6 springs. I'd bet that if you went to a spring for a V8, either an aftermarket 2" drop or a stock V8 spring with a coil cut, you'd be fine.

limited2k

Reaction score
Because...V6 springs. I'd bet that if you went to a spring for a V8, either an aftermarket 2" drop or a stock V8 spring with a coil cut, you'd be fine.
I'm thinking this is my issue too. I did confirm that it has drop spindles (not sure which ones) on my truck. This truck use to also be a v6 and they swapped in a 350 v8 and I believe the original v6 springs were cut + the weight of the v8 = riding on the bump stops. Well that's my thought. i need to look into 1 or 2in drop springs or find some stockers and cut accordingly. Thanks to all for the comments and feedback!!