Help with Bump stops with 4/6 drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

limited2k

Reaction score
Hello, wondering if you guys could help me out and give me your opinions. I picked up a 93 stepside back in March and haven't really had much time to mess around with it or drive it. Now that I'm messing around with it I noticed that the front lower control arms are riding on the bump stops. According to the previous owner this truck has a 4/6 drop (not sure what kit) spindles / springs (not sure if they are cut) and flip kit with 15" sport wheels all around on 295/50 (yes I feel the front wheels have too wide of a tire). What are you guys doing for bump stops in the front? Are the Belltech short Bump stops the way to go? I did do some searching but no clear answer. I'm new to the OBS scene but have had a NNBS and K2 that I've lowered.

You must be registered for see images attach

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you remove or go with a short bump stop you have to be sure your tie rods won’t hit the frame rail unless you want to notch the frame.

limited2k

Reaction score
If you remove or go with a short bump stop you have to be sure your tie rods won’t hit the frame rail unless you want to notch the frame.
Ok, I would need to look into that. Is it normal or not uncommon to ride on the bump stops?

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No problem. Real nice truck.
A 205 70 would look good in the front

limited2k

Reaction score
No problem. Real nice truck.
A 205 70 would look good in the front
I was looking at maybe a 245/60, same sidewall height and more narrow than current according to the tire calculator. I’ll have to see how that tire size 205/70 would look on these wheels.

limited2k

Reaction score
I've never seen a 4/6 GMT400 ride on the bump stops when lowered correctly. I'll say it's safe to guess someone cut the hell out of the springs.

Richard
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I've lowered NNBS's and K2 trucks and never had them riding on bump stops. Since the OBS's are new to me I've tried to search and can't find of picture of the bump stops with the 4 inch drop in the front to reference. I was even thinking about raising it back up to a 2/4 but that's crazy talk...LOL. i really like the lower stance on these trucks and I just want to get it right. Thank you for the feedback!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I've lowered NNBS's and K2 trucks and never had them riding on bump stops. Since the OBS's are new to me I've tried to search and can't find of picture of the bump stops with the 4 inch drop in the front to reference. I was even thinking about raising it back up to a 2/4 but that's crazy talk...LOL. i really like the lower stance on these trucks and I just want to get it right. Thank you for the feedback!
I'll bet if you look at the spindles they're stockers and someone just cut or torched the springs; it'll be pretty easy to tell. Here's a pic of a stock spindle and 2" drop spindle side by side; note where the axle stub is located in relation to the tie rod connection. Stock spindle on left, axle is very low; drop spindle on right has it closer to the center, accomplishing the 2" of drop:

If that's the case, the simple solution is replace the stock spindles and cut springs with 2" spindles, 2" springs, and you're set.

Richard