help with 95 suburban 5.7 steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hello
got a leak from the pitman shaft, plus one mounting hole thread is ruined. thought to get a used box but there are so many different part numbers:(
which other models and years have the same or interchangeable steering box?

even for pitman shaft seals there are 3 different kits, don't know what suits my car.
thx

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They’re the same for all half-tons, though the 97-99 have some internal differences (probably associated with the EVO steering system) and carry different part numbers than the 88-96 C/K1500 trucks. They have the same mounting points, though. I have a 96 box in my 98, for example.

A mass-market remanufactured box is going to include a somewhat higher chance of being bad when you install it. Boxes rebuilt by smaller companies such as Redhead, Bluetop (and there’s one more that I cannot think of) tend to get better reviews as their quality control seems to be higher.

Your damaged mounting point may be an issue with a core return, just keep that in mind.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine is 3/4 ton forgot to mention.

is it worthwhile getting a pitman shaft seal kit and fix my own unit?
i assume the mounting thread can be repaired.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine is 3/4 ton forgot to mention.

is it worthwhile getting a pitman shaft seal kit and fix my own unit?
Anything ELSE wrong with it? Loose steering? Poor assist? Poor return-to-center? If not...yes.

i assume the mounting thread can be repaired.
Kinda depends on what's wrong with it.

Buddy of mine has a Ford 3/4 ton. Broke all three bolts holding the steering gear to the frame. Had trouble flat-towing the thing home because the wheels wanted to toe-in severely, and it couldn't be steered with the steering wheel.

Threaded bolt-holes in steering box were terribly mangled on one, and somewhat mangled on another.

We straightened-out one set of threads, but the other set was too far gone. Drilled 'em smooth, used a longer bolt with a nut and washer.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Redhead will not rebuild anything that has a case defect.
They also wont rebuild crap parts store boxes.
And if you do an off the shelf swap you wont get your core money back from them if you have an unbuildable core.
And that is at least a couple of hundred bucks.
They also will not warranty that box unless you follow all of the procedures they recommend including flushing the entire system.
That is because they are a step up from Oriellys Autozone Napa etc..
The few online complaints about Redhead seem to always come from people who cant read instructions and ****** up the install and want to be paid for it.
I get it.
It is easy for me, redhead is about a 30 minute drive for me, 45 with stopping for coffee.
And I have never had a problem with them.
If you want a cheap quick fix, stuff an Oriellys box in and pump that garbage piece of **** full of some burnt crusty fluid.
And be all shocked when that barely within spec part fails after a month.
And the get another one.
Its a system.
Replace the box, the steering pump, and the lines at the same time.
Just do all of it and be done with it.
I know that is expensive, but it the only way to rid yourself of the problem.
Slapping a steering gear onto an ancient corroded burnt up leaking pump is no different that having open heart surgery and celibrating with a Big Mac and some fries.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And if you do an off the shelf swap you wont get your core money back from them if you have an unbuildable core.
They also will not warranty that box unless you follow all of the procedures they recommend including flushing the entire system.
now i got it, they rebuild only new units and refund for only new cores...

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, they will rebuild old boxes but they need to be rebuildable.
The gear you get from the parts store at some point was probably a genuine GM part.
But it may have been **** rebuilt so many times that there is just nothing left to build.
Look at it this way.
If I inspect an aerospace part.
And the low end rock bottom on that part is lets say .015
If I have a find on that part at .020.
It doesnt pass.
And though this is an entirely different subject that has nothing to do with anyfhing.
If you are in construction especially in commercial in any way bust your ass and learn your trade and get to be the best .
Be that ******* hard working guy who knows his ****.
A fuckload of money is getting cut loose
Trillions Kids.
I know it sucks where you are.
And I know it sucks that maybe that is the only way.
But, it is a way.
now i got it, they rebuild only new units and refund for only new cores...[/QUOT

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is because they are a step up from Oriellys Autozone Napa etc..
The few online complaints about Redhead seem to always come from people who cant read instructions and ****** up the install and want to be paid for it.
I get it.
It is easy for me, redhead is about a 30 minute drive for me, 45 with stopping for coffee.
And I have never had a problem with them.
If you want a cheap quick fix, stuff an Oriellys box in and pump that garbage piece of **** full of some burnt crusty fluid.
And be all shocked when that barely within spec part fails after a month.
And the get another one.
Its a system.
Replace the box, the steering pump, and the lines at the same time.
Just do all of it and be done with it.
I know that is expensive, but it the only way to rid yourself of the problem.
Slapping a steering gear onto an ancient corroded burnt up leaking pump is no different that having open heart surgery and celibrating with a Big Mac and some fries.

X2. Did all this and installed a powersteering filter. And I plan to flush once a year. Only difference is I got ac delco from rock auto but when the time comes I'll try blue top/ redhead

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Minor sidebar, but how are y’all torquing the pitman arm nut down on the gearbox shaft? I’ve done it three times and wedged the box up against a frame crossmember to keep the box from turning while using the torque wrench.

There has to be a better way.