help with 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dans

Reaction score
My 1990 k1500 has a new crate tranny and crate motor I installed.I kept the old transfer case with a posi lok.I just put in the tranny and now my 4x4 light doesn't come one and I know the posi lok is working.I even removed it and pushed inside were the posi lok goes and the 4x4 light doesn't come on.Now I don't think I used my posi lok even before the new tranny install since about a year,but it worked.I also jacked up all 4 wheels and the front wheels don't spin in 4x4.I know my driver side front axle has a ripped boot if that matters.The drive shafts both move in 4x4.Fresh oil and no leaks in everything.I'm stumped.Maybe the axles are shot or the front diff.Any way I can test this? Also I jumped the switch wires with the posi lok engaged and the 4x4 light still doesn't work.Fuse is good.With all wheels off the ground in 4x4 nutral the front wheels spin easy by hand not affecting the rear tires.Same if I spin the rears. the fronts don't move.Please help.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Id take it out and try to power brake it in 4 low in grass or something with the posi lock pulled. Those are pretty straight forward things and unless the cable got broke or pinched, theres a problem inside the front diff.

dans

Reaction score
The cable is working.I took it apart and re enstalled it.Any tricks to test the front diff? Could it be the transfercase even though it spins the shafts?

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the passenger side main axle (not cv) and see if it has slid out of the tube a couple inches. Or if you can slide it out by hand.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

dans

Reaction score
Check the passenger side main axle (not cv) and see if it has slid out of the tube a couple inches. Or if you can slide it out by hand.

If the passenger side output shaft came out and the shift fork and other parts came loose..Can I fix/ rebuild it with the diff still on the truck?

dans

Reaction score
If the passenger side output shaft came out and the shift fork and other parts came loose..Can I fix/ rebuild it with the diff still on the truck?

You must be registered for see images attach

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the axle is loose, it just means the circlip that holds it in place has failed. When axle shaft slides out the first time, a shim will fall in between the gears that engage the 4x4. Simple fix, drop the passenger tube and replace the circlip and probably the shim.