HELP!! TH400 tranny cooler lines...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtball

Reaction score
I can't find them... I find plenty for the 4L60/E of course. Will ones for the 4L60 work, or do they have to be TH400 dedicated?

LMC truck has no listing, and Classic Industries says "Available soon." I don't have time for available soon.

I hate to go with the braided lines, but is that going to be my only option?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't use hose where metal tubing will work. Double-wall seamless steel tubing is cheaper, lighter, has a longer service life, and requires less maintenance 'n' inspection.

Grab a coil of 5/16 or 3/8 double-wall seamless steel tubing, bend your own cooler tubes. I like 3/8; but it's harder to find the trans and radiator adapter fittings.

Or grab 'em from a Treasure Yard vehicle.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have not worked with tubing or flared fittings find a friend or ask around. It's not hard but can be a little tedious. You tube can provide some instruction if you desire.

Dirtball

Reaction score
Don't use hose where metal tubing will work. Double-wall seamless steel tubing is cheaper, lighter, has a longer service life, and requires less maintenance 'n' inspection.

Grab a coil of 5/16 or 3/8 double-wall seamless steel tubing, bend your own cooler tubes. I like 3/8; but it's harder to find the trans and radiator adapter fittings.

Or grab 'em from a Treasure Yard vehicle.
Hard to find TH400 stuff... but we have a good Pull a Part here in the Birmingham area.

Dirtball

Reaction score
So... a set for a 4L80 would NOT work? No way to start with something close and make modifications?

I'm not averse to making my own... but I also hate reinventing the wheel.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What happened to your original lines? I've never messed with a TH400, I seem to recall the TH400 connectors are angled differently? Like they are angled towards the bellhousing, while the 4L60e come out 90 degrees to the case?

Can just modify the ones you tried? Get one of those inexpensive tubing benders and some 3/8"? aluminum and get whatever weird angle you need?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get one of those inexpensive tubing benders and some 3/8"? aluminum and get whatever weird angle you need?
I don't suggest aluminum tubing. None of the OEMs used it in this application, or for fuel.

Like copper "plumbing" tubing, the stuff work-hardens, cracks, spews fluid. ATF is surprisingly flammable; and it's routed right by the hot exhaust.

Steel, or the newer/more expensive "Copper-Nickle"/NiCop tubing.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4L60 lines should be close. best would be to measure from the edge of the bellhousing. FWIW, both upper lines are RETURN on TH400 and 4L60

Dirtball

Reaction score
4L60 lines should be close. best would be to measure from the edge of the bellhousing. FWIW, both upper lines are RETURN on TH400 and 4L60
Sorry I've been out of pocket and not able to keep up with my own question...

I thought about the 4L60 and the 4L80, since it's more like the TH400 compared to the TH350 being more like the 4L60, and pulled up similar pics of both of them and a TH400. I have been thinking that it could be adapted. My concern was how it goes into the radiator. Mine screw in old school style. Wouldn't ones for the 4L60 or 4L80 have the O-rings on the radiator end? Or were there years that used the 4L60/80 and had the old flare fittings? Or am I totally offbase with my thinking?

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the 92 w/ 4L80E I worked on was standard sea 45 flare thread in fittings on the passenger side in-radiator cooler. i added a factory external cooler and it had the quick connect push in fittings. I believe I ordered lines from a '94 truck on rockauto.