Help Needed with Passlock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I will be pulling the distributor tomorrow and try to set it right. Showing a crank position sensor code

It's probably showing the cam position code.

Timing is determined by the crank position sensor. The distributor position won't matter regarding timing... but it will affect the cam position sensor and the resulting code.

Follow these instructions (attached) and you can get the code to clear (at least, it did for me). But,

Reportedly one needs a scan tool to dial the cam position sensor (distributor position) in perfectly. I've actually never done that and I've run the truck as-is for years, BUT I have a plan to do it soon.

(edit) I seem to remember someone saying that the cam position sensor was used to determine the sequential firing of the injectors. Too, when the cam position was unknown / incorrect (code set) the injectors fired in batch mode. Presumably if the cam position is a bit off the code can be reset but the injector timing may be a bit off as well, due to the error in the cam reference.

Attachments

• GMT400 distributor install.pdf
    700 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed the ground wire on the front of the motor behind the water pump. We disconnected it to unplug stuff. Your truck won't start with out it reconnected and screwed to the block.
The first time I did an engine swap on my Suburban I left that same ground loose. I beat my head against the wall for a day until I discovered it. Whenever I read that your truck wouldn't even crank, that's what I was thinking, I was just too late to the party to clue you in. I'm glad you got it fixed.

baxterday

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I pull the distributor and it has a 6 on the little arrow, does this mean I have the wrong distributor or that it can be used in a six cylinder engine also?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should also have an 8 mark on the flat side which is what you’d use…

You must be registered for see images attach