HELP!!!, need some alternator questions answered.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welp, the one the wife brought down is not correct. I had to sleep in the garage last night when we got home. It's supposedly from a 5.0 TBI. The rear case is the same and the front case is the same diameter but the two main mounting tabs are clocked a little different in relation to each other and the are closer to the case. The wide main mounting tab is clocked correctly to the rear case so that's why everything looked correctly in the pics. So much for all TBI motors being interchangeable. And from what I understand they are both CS130's going off of the case diameters. I don't understand why the hell it would be different like this compared to the ones for a small block.

It seems like nobody really knows this stuff for certain. Some think they do, but are often wrong. GM seems to use whatever parts it has in stock at the time of the build.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might be better off bringing the old one to the auto parts store and bending over.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This whole deal turned out to be one of those simple 5 minute swap outs that turns out to be a nightmare. I got another one from the boneyard Sat. morning. It wasn't clocked right but still worked. You just have to leave the round bar that serves as an additional rear mount disconnected after you loosen the bolt in the head and lift it all out of the way. Well the one they had out had a narrower pulley on it so they offered to swap the pulleys for me as I would have been doing it in the parking lot at my work if they didn't. I should have politely said no phucking thank you evidently. The crackhead at the boneyard evidently didn't feel the need to put the spacer bushing back in between the fan and pulley. On top of that he had the one that is supposed to be between them behind the fan. There's supposed to be a narrower one there. The dipchit just slapped the pulley up against the fan so the diameter of the pulley is smashed up against the fan with about an 1/8" gap behind the pulley. As soon as I start it up all hell breaks loose after 10-15 seconds. The pulley grinds into the side of the fan and the diameter of the pulley gets wiped out after spinning on the alternator shaft. I thought my idler pulley was the culprit at first even though I checked it after pulling the original alternator. I'd grab the alternator pulley and spin the alternator and everything seemed smooth. Took me a few minutes to figure out what was wrong. So then back off comes the one from the boneyard and I spend over an hour inside work trying to patch something together to get home while the wife sits in the parking lot waiting. Anyways, I just got done taking it off and on AGAIN to do it right with another pulley and spacer I had laying around. I also re-clocked it which was easy as hell to do. So now everything is back to normal. Since it seems to be an oddball that no one stocks I'm grabbing another one from the boneyard and throwing it in my truck for a spare. I'll eventually convert it over to a 140 amp cs-144 I think. For now all is well. I'm getting so sick and tired of dealing with half-assed incompetent people that don't know what the hell they're talking about or doing.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

randy fabian

Reaction score
Just some general information. The reason Rock Auto and other on line warehouses are cheaper than your local auto parts stores is because they don't pay overhead for stocking items. By the time you add the core charge and shipping, the price is much closer. Also, if there is an issue with the part, returning for a replacement or refund is a huge hassle plus you will likely incur some cost during the process. Not to mention waiting for shipping while your rig is down. Some things are fine to buy on line but this is probably not one of them.

Reaction score
I had to replace a cs130 alternator last week, it had been on my truck for about 5 years. I check all the wiring first, it was good. I took it off and went to O'Reilly and bought a brand new one, put it back on, it lasted 2 days and the internal voltage regulator screwed up, it would over charge then under charge. I took it back got a rebuilt one , that's all they had. Its working fine as I speak. Parts just are not what they use to be.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to replace a cs130 alternator last week, it had been on my truck for about 5 years. I check all the wiring first, it was good. I took it off and went to O'Reilly and bought a brand new one, put it back on, it lasted 2 days and the internal voltage regulator screwed up, it would over charge then under charge. I took it back got a rebuilt one , that's all they had. Its working fine as I speak. Parts just are not what they use to be.

That's exactly why I choose the boneyard for somethings. Alternators being one of them as that's always been my experience with rebuilt too.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just some general information. The reason Rock Auto and other on line warehouses are cheaper than your local auto parts stores is because they don't pay overhead for stocking items. By the time you add the core charge and shipping, the price is much closer. Also, if there is an issue with the part, returning for a replacement or refund is a huge hassle plus you will likely incur some cost during the process. Not to mention waiting for shipping while your rig is down. Some things are fine to buy on line but this is probably not one of them.

Not in this case. I called 4-5 different places local to my work thinking I could just have one delivered and I could pop it on in the parking lot in 5 minutes and head for home. Nobody had one in stock and they were all between $110-125 for a POS rebuilt. Napa wanted a $65 core charge so I would have been out over $200 because my case is junk. Rock Auto has a NEW off brand for $52.79 and a NEW AC Delco for $77.79, neither one with a core charge. Amazon would have put one on my front door the next day for roughly the same price and I have Amazon Prime so no shipping cost. This whole ordeal blew up in my face because I just wanted to save an extra 80 mile round trip and more wasted time for both me and the wife on Saturday which we wound up doing anyways.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"NEW" alternators sold at typical parts-stores are Communist Chinese junk. The rebuilt units--if they're done properly--at least had parts made by major manufacturers to OEM-level tolerances, with the high-failure items replaced.

I'd much rather have a PROPERLY rebuilt unit than a "new" alternator or starter. And, yeah, "good used" is another fine option.