HELP need a bigger oil pan SBC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Here are the two pans I was trying to use.

The first two pictures are of the pan with a baffle, and yes at first the pickup was hitting the baffle and i trimed it a little to clear it and then found it would not sit all the way onto the block.

Second picture shows why, note how deep the pan is at the front edge of main drop, and NOTE How it is NOT flat but at an angle and pulls closer to the block the farther it goes toward the rear, THAT is where it was hitting the pump.

The third picture is of a old pan with no baffle, IT cleared the pump.

The forth is also of the older pan and it has a little taper as well but not as much and does clear the BBC pump.
You must be registered for see images attach

SomeTahoe

Reaction score
OK Here are the two pans I was trying to use.

The first two pictures are of the pan with a baffle, and yes at first the pickup was hitting the baffle and i trimed it a little to clear it and then found it would not sit all the way onto the block.

Second picture shows why, note how deep the pan is at the front edge of main drop, and NOTE How it is NOT flat but at an angle and pulls closer to the block the farther it goes toward the rear, THAT is where it was hitting the pump.

The third picture is of a old pan with no baffle, IT cleared the pump.

The forth is also of the older pan and it has a little taper as well but not as much and does clear the BBC pump.

So the 4QT pan doesn't work because the pan is closer to the block at the front of the engine? Maybe I'm just ignorant on the topic, having never rebuilt a motor, but isn't the oil pump on the 350 SBC by the rear main seal? If it is, how does the depth at the front of the pan make any difference? What am I missing here? Are those witness marks from interference I'm seeing on the baffle in the 4QT pan? Again, this isn't my wheelhouse, just curious on if some clarification can make this simpler than it is seeming.

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I called Ramjet's Speed Shop and ordered a BBC Oil Pump and the Pickup for it and a Oil Pan FOR a SBC 350 running a BBC Pump, and they had one JUST for that that set up.

NOTE To them this is SO common they carry all three ON HAND, in stock....

Here it is with the pump and pickup that IS one haft an inch off the bottom of the pan which I checked with clay!!!

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 8
  • BBC Pump.jpg
    BBC Pump.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 7

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the 4QT pan doesn't work because the pan is closer to the block at the front of the engine? Maybe I'm just ignorant on the topic, having never rebuilt a motor, but isn't the oil pump on the 350 SBC by the rear main seal? If it is, how does the depth at the front of the pan make any difference? What am I missing here? Are those witness marks from interference I'm seeing on the baffle in the 4QT pan? Again, this isn't my wheelhouse, just curious on if some clarification can make this simpler than it is seeming.
Ok here is what I was talking about:

Attachments

• Bad pan Bad bad pan.jpg
    Bad pan Bad bad pan.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 5
  • Good pan.jpg
    Good pan.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 5