Help Fixing Drilled Ignition - Attempted Theft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Char

Reaction score
Someone broke into my ‘99 Suburban the other night to try to steal it, they drilled from the top of the Ignition lock housing through the ignition lock cylinder.
I managed to get the broken cylinder out, and tried starting the truck using an old chisel in the ignition housing hole. The engine turned over, but would die immediately, with “security” light on the dash.
Any ideas on getting it started, or bypassing the security system? I need to get it moved somewhere safer
Thanks!

Attachments

• 3C87B823-F720-47CF-95CE-2B954F53981F.jpeg
    3C87B823-F720-47CF-95CE-2B954F53981F.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 22

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The PCM "could" be flashed to remove the security system. That's costly.

I'm not a fan of anything but a key to turn the key cylinder. Leads to more vehicle theft...

The key cylinder "should" be replaced properly and programmed to function as originally intended.

Char

Reaction score
Yes agreed I will for sure get the new housing and cylinder installed
Just wanted to see if it’s possible to drive it to the house where I have my tools without having it towed
I just found this thread, anyone think this would work as a temporary fix:
$0.97 at RadioShack for a 2.2k ohm resistor. There are three wires that run to the ignition switch that are grouped together. If I recall correctly they are orange black and white. If it isnt orange then it is yellow. All you have to do is wire the resistor across the black and yellow or the orange and black and do a relearn. A relearn consists of turning the key on fire it up let it die and leave the key on. The security light will flash and stay on. After 10 minutes shut off the key and repeat. Do this 3 times and it will learn the 2.2 K resistor as the new resistance for the ignition switch. Make sure you solder the resistor into place.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes agreed I will for sure get the new housing and cylinder installed
Just wanted to see if it’s possible to drive it to the house where I have my tools without having it towed
I just found this thread, anyone think this would work as a temporary fix:

It works as a permanent fix, I did it to my flipper dually.

Char

Reaction score
Just to follow up in case anyone ever comes across this and has the same problem.

What I found was the cheapest way to fix it:
1. Replacement ignition cylinder housing and ignition cylinder, pull from a junkyard truck. If possible get from a truck that has it's keys, otherwise it's more work the locksmith will have to do to pull the cylinder
2. Bring housing and cylinder to locksmith with the original key. They can re-code the cylinder to your key.

Once I got these installed, it started right up. Passlock is no longer bypassed
All together this was about $150 CAD, compared with $400 CAD the dealership said it would cost for replacements

A good vid for pulling steering column parts to access the housing:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Need a steering wheel puller tool, and steering wheel lock plate remover. After that it's a few Torx screws, one tricky tool is a deep-well E5 Torx socket for removing the ignition switch from the ignition cylinder housing. Otherwise you can mangle the screw with needlenose pliers like I did!

That's how I did it, unless anybody has better ideas!

Also: get a garage if your neighbourhood is full of crack-heads trying to steal trucks!