Help finding leak from rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fragment, cut and sealed as you suggested. I tried pouring some water in the seam when it was open to verify that it was the same leak in the cab I've been seeing. Blew it out with some compressed air to dry before smothering it with sealer. Before, during, and after photos in case anyone else runs into this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kirth Gersen

Reaction score
ANYONE - is removing that cover over the cabin's air inlet, just a matter of razor cutting the body seam sealer?

Is that a PITA? Seam sealers can be very tough & tenacious.

My blower assembly is not leaking water, but I'm thinking to fabricate some type of screen mesh over the air inlet to keep leaves & junk out. I removed blower motor last month, and I could not believe how much nasty crud had accumulated in the duct , clogging the AC evaporator

Opening up the cowel cover and after silicone the gasket, i don't have the leak anymore.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
ANYONE - is removing that cover over the cabin's air inlet, just a matter of razor cutting the body seam sealer?

Is that a PITA? Seam sealers can be very tough & tenacious.

Basically a sharp putty knife and a heat gun. As if you were taking trim off with a heat gun. A little heat to soften because the sealer is below the cover as well. get as much off the top as possible first. eventually you'll be able to get under the edge. Just go slow and lift slight with heat because the metal is thin and will bend. When you get it out it will be slightly curled but you can work it back to flat. Reassemble with seam sealer. don't remove the cover it without a little heat to soften the sealer or you'll bend it.

FIREBALL 94

Bowtie enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is awesome info I luv this site. I plan to use 100% silicone I found around the box under the cowl and that spot behind the antifreeze bottle as well, mine ain't leaking believe it or not but being as it's a 94 and I just redone the inside (headliner and plastic trim left to put back in) I better plan ahead I guess on stopping something before it starts....thanks to all who helped on this thread!

Kirth Gersen

Reaction score
I notice many are intending to use silicone sealants.

JMO, but I really dislike silicon sealants. Why? Because they won't stick to themselves. If you ever need to add more sealant, or remove & reseal, you have to physically abrade off all traces of the old silicone.

Urethane-based sealants are just as durable and will stick to themselves, but often are more tacky/stringy to apply and cure times are usually a bit longer.

eg,
3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 Fast Cure "permanent assembly"
3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 4200 Fast Cure "semi-permanent for disassembly"
or any windshield adhesive urethane, or 1-component body seam sealer.

Silicone sealants have their uses -- the right ones are very oil resistant and when used, it's typically in locations that allow easy access for small air tools to abrade off all traces of old sealant (eg front of engine seals on 350 TBI)

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
For this job, i liked silicone adhesive because it sticks to everything for the initial application including your fingers which is good because it doesn't fall off in a glob as you twist your hand to get to the blind spot back under the cowl. This application was to the gasket on the air intake box. Seam sealer everywhere else to reinstall the cover etc. as it hardens and can be removed.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with water sitting under the driver side step cover? After a heavy rain I'll have a lot of water just sitting there against the pinch weld. The carpet is also really wet under where the drivers feet sit, but not up towards the A pillar or back behind the seat.

Could this be an airbox leak? I've already sealed the screwed above the cabin air intake

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with water sitting under the driver side step cover? After a heavy rain I'll have a lot of water just sitting there against the pinch weld. The carpet is also really wet under where the drivers feet sit, but not up towards the A pillar or back behind the seat.

Could this be an airbox leak? I've already sealed the screwed above the cabin air intake
More likely windshield or door weatherstrip.

Richard