Help finding leak from rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After a few big storms, I saw the passenger side rocker was wet. After unscrewing the plastic trim, there was a big puddle there. I removed the passenger seat and the water seeped all the way to the trans tunnel and stopped just behind the front seat.

You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see in the image, the front of the carpet's not wet, so I don't think it's coming from the front. The weatherstripping looked intact, and nothing looked clogged (I cleaned it anyways). Are there other areas I should look at? This is a 3rd extended cab if that helps.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought it never rained in Ca. Seriously the best way to find the leak would be to remove passenger seat pull the carpet up and put a hose on the truck to immitate rain. When you see what area the water is coming from you can take interior panels off to localize. I had an S-10 that leaked from the rear side windows. I removed the rubber bent the pinch weld out a little with a block of wood and hammer and put the rubber back. No more water.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought it never rained in Ca

It never does. Think we've had more rain this season than multiple years combined.

Didn't think of the rear window, and the hose trick is a good idea. I was using a bucket to pour on the top, but I think having more force with the water should help.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not so much force as duration. If you are only leaking a drop a minute pouring a bucket of water will only leak a drop whereas a light spray for 10 minutes will provide enough to see where it is coming from.

My 98 RCSB had a leak on the passenger side when I got it but it was coming in through the heater at the cowl plenum.

Last edited:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the drain holes in the bottom of your door... if they are blocked water will collect and get high enough to go above the door seal and into the cab... sounds odd but I've seen it happen myself...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Like Bob ^ says, I'm pretty sure its coming in where the HVAC box pops through the cowl for fresh air intake. I'm gearing up to pull the HVAC box to fix it.

There's good discussion about it here: http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9077

I did a temp fix three years ago that still isn't leaking. This keeps water out of that side of the cowl but air can still get in.
You must be registered for see images attach

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad I didn't put the carpet back down because it rained again last night. Saw it dripping from right behind the blower motor in the passenger foot well, so I suspect the front cowl now. Will take it apart after work.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took off the front cowl, there was some dirt, but no major clogs. I tried pouring water down the holes and they all seemed to drain fine.

chimneyman

Reaction score
This is just merely an idea, but have you checked the windshield separating from the truck. When I bought my 88 it had some rust in the same area and I didn't know where the rain was coming from until I started dissembling for restoration and that when i saw the windshield was coming off of the truck.