Help driveshaft confusion!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kylejtucker

Reaction score
Hello I have a 1997 gmc k1500 z71 offroad and I recently broke the aluminum/ carbon wrapped stock driveshaft. I went to the junkyard and pulled a steel drive shaft off of another gmc k1500 z71 offroad. My only problem is the caps for the u jiont on the steel driveshaft fell off and when I went to put the caps from the aluminum driveshaft on the steel one they are different sizes. So my big question it how do I know which u joint to get for this new steel driveshaft. The drive shaft does go into the trans and is the right length, i also pulled the yolk of the junkyard truck so I can swap those just need to know what u joint this is.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
You have to look it up, check the part numbers, go the part in the catalog for dimensions, and do some comparisons by measuring the cap or the bore in the yokes.

Drive lines are usually supplied to GM so the best places to look for parts is SKF, Spicer, etc. all of the drive line suppliers.

Check this start around page 128
https://www.skf.com/binary/79-66357/457285.pdf

Here is a spicer catalog. They don't list any for the C1500/K1500 but I used a spicer 5-795X on my '96 c1500 reg cab. very common part across many models.
https://www.macpek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Spicer-universal-joints.pdf

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I believe the aluminum were a conversion and the steel were not. Seems they had different snap ring locations as well. I think the steel are a 3R dana.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I believe the aluminum were a conversion and the steel were not. Seems they had different snap ring locations as well. I think the steel are a 3R dana.

Conversion of what?

3R Dana? What are you trying to say?

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
The caps on the aluminum shafts were outside snap rings, the caps for all the 10 bolt rear ends were inside snap rings and 3R. I believe the aluminum caps were 1310 or 1330 sized, so a conversion was used at the rear with 1310 or 1330 caps one way, and 3R the other way.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wouldn't think GM would have used a conversion u-joint, but I don't have any experience with the Dana shafts. I wonder if the driveshaft has been replaced by a previous owner.

Those "inside snaprings" are to replace joints held in by injected plastic. You'll see tiny holes in the the flat spots that are ground into the side of the yoke ears on the driveshaft, and slip yoke.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
The pinion didnt have injected plastic, and the caps had inside snap rings that the straps hold in. A conversion joint just means that 2 caps and distances between are not the same. Go pull one of the aluminum extended cab shafts and look, they have a conversion on the back. They have a different yoke on the front so a conversion is not needed. The front yoke on the steel ones has 3r both ways, the aluminum has 1310 or whatever it is.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I wouldn't think GM would have used a conversion u-joint, but I don't have any experience with the Dana shafts. I wonder if the driveshaft has been replaced by a previous owner.

Those "inside snaprings" are to replace joints held in by injected plastic. You'll see tiny holes in the the flat spots that are ground into the side of the yoke ears on the driveshaft, and slip yoke.

You are correct about the factory injected into the driveshaft, I heat these areas with a torch and the plastic melts out and looks like a pigtail.