HELP!! 88 GMC C1500 rclb 2wd coil spring replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcain226

Reaction score
I am stuck and waiving the white flag for help.....I am installing a RC 2" front lift kit on my 88 GMC 1500 2wd which consists of new coil springs and a ball joint spacer. I replaced the upper control arm assy and installed the ball joint spacer. I am trying to put the new springs in and I am stuck....
BTW- the coil springs look to be the same size as the factory ones that came out;

I have compressed the spring, but I can't get it to cede properly in the lower control arm; The lower control arm lowered and sagging at an angle, so I can't get the spring into place. I have tried putting it in as far as I can, and then jacking up the control arm, but the spring won't slide into place.

Am I missing something? Do I need to compress the spring more? I feel like I had it compressed a lot, but maybe I could go more. How do I get it into the proper place on the lower control arm so that I can raise it and connect everything back?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hook the ends as far apart as you can, keep tightening until it fits. Be careful, those springs can do some damage if the compressor comes apart.

jcain226

Reaction score
Hook the ends as far apart as you can, keep tightening until it fits. Be careful, those springs can do some damage if the compressor comes apart.
Thanks! I just read another post where they removed the frame bolts from the LCA and put the spring in the top area. Then just jacked up the LCA to get the frame bolts back in. I may try that...seems a lot less risky than compressing the springs that much. I had them compressed pretty good today and was worried about going more.

5W4G

Reaction score
Wanted to just throw my experience out there. I'm a mechanic by trade and this was a hard son of a b to complete. 3 inch spacers install... First of all getting the ball joint to bust loose was hard... I ended up sticking a hydraulic bottle jack between lower and upper assembly when it finally broke loose It sprung like a damn toaster I had already removed spring... Removed back LCA bolts to do that... Ok to the spacers I used oriellys spring compressor from the top thru shock hole as low as I could go underneath LCA on ball joint knuckle area I used 2 ton jack on both sides of control arm I used 2 bottle jacks spring kept wanting to kick out I had already loosened LCA back bolts to try and give a little more space... Ran ratchet strap on frame opposite side I was working on. I also ran come along as the ratchet alone wasn't enough... Using compressor and 3 jacks I raised each one by one keeping everything even. And would tighten compressor along with it... Spring would move inward As I went up... Took everything I had to get it in but it was a success but a real **** not doing this again. I had tried spacer on bottom removing entire LCA If anybody had seen what I had to do in photo they would've thought I was crazy I know I am .. my ***** loud bangs hard sits high and wide paint dripping on my paint drips swag from the top to my sway bar sauce from the leafs to the shocks some call her bad I call her phat she's my ride and I like it like that... Lmao