HELP! 4l60e is being a Dick Weed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Powerglide? LOL

Those things are used almost exclusively by drag racers nowadays, as far as thought. I'm sure you can bolt it up, but not sure how you can make it work with the electronics of a '96+, unless you have a carb? Is your truck a TBI or Vortec? Not sure how a 2-speed tranny will work for a commuter/daily driver though. Some folks don't like the TH350/TH400 because no OD. Maybe your truck is not a DD?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Can't you just swap another 4L60 from the junkyard? I see them for around $500.

How about a 4L80e if you have a Vortec? Not too difficult of a swap...

It's easy to make the electronics work, you just lock the neutral saftey switch in neutral, and zip tie it off to the side.

That's what I did when I put the th350 in my '95. It didn't complain or nothing.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Powerglide? LOL

Those things are used almost exclusively by drag racers nowadays, as far as thought. I'm sure you can bolt it up, but not sure how you can make it work with the electronics of a '96+, unless you have a carb? Is your truck a TBI or Vortec? Not sure how a 2-speed tranny will work for a commuter/daily driver though. Some folks don't like the TH350/TH400 because no OD. Maybe your truck is not a DD?

My '95 was tbi, so I was able to hook the kickdown up, but my '98 is vortec.

Curtislow

Reaction score
I don't actually own a code reader (I usually work on old carbureted junk) so I don't know. I didn't see a check engine light though.

I do know for sure that I should have at least 3rd/reverse without any electronics whatsoever connected.

Anyways, thanks for the help, I am going to drop the pan and check for ruined clutches, as well as get a code reader on it.

Last time I blew up a 4l60e, I swapped in a TH350. Not that simple with a vortec engine.
How did you get the th 350 to work with the vortec

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that solenoid is fine. Hydraulic solenoids commonly have a top that can rotate fairly freely. It's basically an electromagnetically controlled valve. That top is just a control coil and the clocking doesn't matter so long as the wires route nicely.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

A couple days and 2 hundred miles later, I've had no issues. In fact it seems to shift a lot firmer and better than before.

It feels like a brand new transmission, but I don't know how long it will last.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Powerglide? LOL

I could spend $500 on a junkyard 4l60e or $75 on this powerglide (I might pick it up from him anyways to use for another project).

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Powerglide? LOL

I am also going for a change filter/fluid and maybe add some Lucas as my 60E seems to be acting up a little, no noise or any major problems but it is shifting a little soft. Anyway if it does go out could I not just put a th400 in with an ECM from a manual transmission truck?

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am also going for a change filter/fluid and maybe add some Lucas as my 60E seems to be acting up a little, no noise or any major problems but it is shifting a little soft. Anyway if it does go out could I not just put a th400 in with an ECM from a manual transmission truck?

You could, but an even easier option for you is just need to lock the neutral saftey switch in neutral an zip tie it off to the side.

Trust me, it works.

Also I would find a TH350 with a 9 in tailhousing since you don't even need a new driveshaft to make it all work.

Also if you want the speedometer to work, take the tailhousing/vss off of your 4l60e, order a reluctor ring, and put it all on the th350.

Though it may look like there is no spline engagement in the slipyoke, the tailshaft its okay to put the shorter tailhousing on the trans since the tailshaft is long enough to make it all work flawlessly.

Last edited: