Help, 1995, 1500 4x4 Manual Trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I hope I'm not breaking protocol but making this my first post. My name is Andy, I run the forum for the fantastic Honda Hawk GT motorcycles. I'm an avid forum user and this is my first visit here.

A kid that works for me owns a 1995 1500 4x4, as the title says. It has the 4.3 in it. He replaced his throw out bearing last week. Looking at the old bearing I noticed it rotated off center. As if the bearing wore on one side.

Once he got the truck back together the symptoms he had attributed to the bearing persisted. Two days later the trans went.

Now this is my problem to solve... He is a good kid, not much with a wrench though and he needs some help here. I will be helping him get this thing back on the road (it's a bit of a clam but he loves it).

What transmissions can be put in this truck with little to no modification? Will the trans out of a 2wd work? Anyone have one, or more importantly some advice?

Thanks,

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
It has a NV3500 in it now and can be found relatively cheaply used. There are others that will fit in but unless he upgrades to a NV4500 (which is not benefitial behind a 4.3) whats in it is already the best option.

Reaction score
Thank you @RichLo

We found one used in Jersey for $350 but it's 4 hours away and I wouldn't know how to test it. Not sure if it's worth the risk.

We will keep looking around and see what we can find.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Input and output shaft play. And run it through the gears while turning the input shaft.

NV3500's tend to catastrophically fail rather than wear out.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you @RichLo

We found one used in Jersey for $350 but it's 4 hours away and I wouldn't know how to test it. Not sure if it's worth the risk.

We will keep looking around and see what we can find.

Have you checked http://car-part.com/? I can't imagine an NV3500 being that hard to find.

EDIT - I just checked, assuming your listed location is correct there's a few to choose from in a 200 mile radius.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Consider that the clutch release system and 4x4 cases are proprietary. '95 has a bell housing mounted slave, later versions are 'rams head'. '94 and '95 4x4 are the same. Earlier 4x4 will fir, but not as good quality.
4x4 is 4x4 only. No tail shaft housing on 2WD trans.
A rams head 3500 could be installed if all clutch release parts are with it. It'll add to the work. And, a 2WD could be installed, but it would then be a 2WD truck. 2WD will bolt in if clutch release is same.
The old clutch throwout arm was probably shot. They wear at the ball. Always replace the arm and ball when swapping pre ramshead 3500s. Replace the release bearing again.
Always use the correct trans lube. Very important.
3500s require a good many special tools and skill to rebuild. Not something to "learn" on. $$

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk