Hello from SW Florida

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTPI

Reaction score
Hi everyone ,
Joined about a week ago and after a short time I knew this was the place to be! I was looking for a cool project and found this 88 w/Scottsdale trim sitting on the side of my neighbors house. I think it was his first vehicle and needless to say it didn't last long, it left him stranded on the side of the road about 6 months ago then got parked where it would wait to get towed to the scrap yard.
I feel it should be saved but others think not. The passenger side cab corner has a small amount of rust, the rest or the truck is solid. Frame is solid, all body mounts are also solid. I'm going to tear into the doors this week and get everything working smoothly , clean or replace part as needed and get the weather stripping replaced. I will likely replace engine & trans eventually unless I am unable to get the current 305 running well again.
So how does the tribe vote.

You must be registered for see images attach

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
That takes me back, thats got the beginning that one of my hunting buddies truck is now. 88 Chevy, 4x4 and 305. Now it's lifted 4 inches, bored 355, 35s, and new paint. It had the same black and gold. I don't mind a 305, they're good engines. But I'd go with a 350 for anything else.

GTPI

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I was looking at this 2000 K1500 and then I saw the 88 just waiting to be towed away. Someone else is going to get a really nice truck. The owner of this silver gem is asking almost 13K, I gave my neighbor $500. for the truck I just named the "Recycle Bin"

Attachments

• 2000 K1500.jpg
    2000 K1500.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Recycle Bin.jpg
    Recycle Bin.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 7

GTPI

Reaction score
Except the 305. If it needs more than a tune-up hunt down a 350. I will admit I'm biased, though, and I live in the land of 350 trees in every yard.
So would it wise to source a 350 tbi and if so do I need any of the electronics from the donor vehicle? Transmission is a 700r4 but I won't know it's condition until the truck is running.
Thanks

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know everything's pretty identical except maybe the fuel injectors and the tune. I don't know for sure, I ditched the TBI pretty quick. The factory TBI is pretty limited unless you spend several hundred dollars on tuning tools.

My 700R4 hammered the 1-2 shift, and then I burned it up, so I swapped it for a junkyard 700R4 which slips a bit on full throttle, but runs nice otherwise. If you stick with the TBI, the 700R4 should be plenty of transmission.