Hello from Scotland.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Metallicblue

Reaction score
Hello all. I should have done this ages ago - but didn't want to put you all through the rigmarole of saying welcome. Instead, I dived in with a bunch of questions and felt welcomed by the friendly and helpful replies I've been getting. The welcoming part is done!

So, I'm going to use this intro to ask more questions - general ones from someone the other side of the pond who is struggling with translations. Just stuff I've not encountered that you guys have been doing for years it seems.

What's with the X/Y for drops? My only guess is that it's how much lowered front and back but the photos I see don't really support that assumption. What's a C Notch? Is that where the rear chassis rails are cut and shifted to clear the axle on bump? And what are 'dropped spindles'?

I see a lot about 'camming'. I don't have the cam timings for my L31 so don't have anything to compare what I'm seeing with. Usually (with cars at least) the aim with a different cam is to push the torque curve up the rpm range and thus gain power. Same here? But isn't that at odds with the low end torque required for towing and stuff like that? Eg, I saw camming being discussed for a 'rock crawler' and my guess is that low end is everything for that. Which way does camming go with you guys? Or is camming done both ways - sometimes for low end, sometimes for top end?
And the way that you specify cam timings is different. The 'lift' and 'lobe angle' I get. But not the duration figures. Are they being quoted at a specified lift? And if so, what's the standard lift figure used. I don't need to know this stuff but as I'm interested.....

What's brought me here is the recent purchase of a 1999 Suburban C2500 with the 5.7l Vortec. I'l post a few photos at the end so you can see for yourself what I have. It's a very low mileage truck (41,000 miles) and rust free (apart from slight surface rust on exposed frame parts and exhaust tips). The interior is pretty tidy too but some of the dash needs refastening. It was a surprise to find one in the UK at all let alone this one.
It was converted early on to run on LPG (propane) as UK fuel prices would make your eyes bleed looking at them and the LPG is about half the price of gasoline. There's a few niggling problems I'm trying to get on top of - hence threads elsewhere - and a few more that I'll ask about in due course. I've only driven it about 100miles (then UK went into C-19 lockdown - oh joy) but really looking forward to it being properly sorted and getting on the road with it.

Anyway, enough of an intro I think. Thanks for the welcoming help so far - it really is appreciated - and have a look at my truck and feel free to comment as you see fit. The intention is for it to be my daily road car so only 2WD and road orientated wheel/tyres is perfect for me. It is now as in the street pic - bull bar removed and with reg plate on bumper.
Cheers!

You must be registered for see images attach

Welcome , nice ride !!

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
welcome aboard

the burban looks nice & solid

blue interior w/ beige paint, a little odd. I don't think that I've that combo before. Usually beige paint gives either light grey or tan interior.

does the LPG gear take up any interior or under hood space?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cheers!

Paint is really strange. In bright sunlight it is silver. Silver, with nothing in the way of colour. When the light is less than that it takes on a brownish tinge and the silver disappears to grey. Did GM not have a colour they called 'pewter'? I hate silver but I like this. I also like the blue interior - especially the dark rooflining.

The LPG takes up a bit of space in the engine bay. The reducer/vapouriser is the bulkiest bit of kit and sits next to the battery. The additional hoses get in the way a bit but it isn't too cramped an engine bay - especially compared to the other car in one of the pics.
The (120 litre) tank sits behind the third row of seats and would be a pain if there wasn't so much space still left - these things are huge inside! Loose plan to relocate it to where the gasoline tank is (but maybe requires different tank for ground clearance) with a smaller gasoline tank elsewhere - or ditch gasoline entirely. Priorities - as you have doubtless guessed - are elsewhere at the moment.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Nice truck! Only 41,000 miles, yours is a baby! Mine has 184,000 and change. I think Chevy calls this color "platinum" and GMC calls it "light autumnwood mist " . GMC has to sound fancy. But I have noticed that about the color too, that it looks different in low light than on sunny days. Most of the platinum trucks I've seen have either the tan/beige (first Burb) or the grey/neutral ( current Burb) interior, so your navy blue may be a special order. Looks good though! Wish my 21 year old leather seats were that nice.
There's still enough of these trucks over here this color that you can be fairly invisible in one as long as it isn't heavily modified. That's why I'm not doing too much to mine in that respect. What's it like driving a big beastie like a suburban in Scotland? Some of the roads in Texas are barely big enough, I can't imagine in the UK....thanks

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
There actually is a pure silver color (looks like cast aluminum) and a gold color that looks like old brass. The platinum/ light autumnwood is way more common though

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice truck! Only 41,000 miles, yours is a baby! Mine has 184,000 and change. I think Chevy calls this color "platinum" and GMC calls it "light autumnwood mist " . GMC has to sound fancy. But I have noticed that about the color too, that it looks different in low light than on sunny days. Most of the platinum trucks I've seen have either the tan/beige (first Burb) or the grey/neutral ( current Burb) interior, so your navy blue may be a special order. Looks good though! Wish my 21 year old leather seats were that nice.

Cheers for the kind words! From the forum, I'm getting the impression that cloth outlasts (crack prone) leather.

There's still enough of these trucks over here this color that you can be fairly invisible in one as long as it isn't heavily modified. That's why I'm not doing too much to mine in that respect. What's it like driving a big beastie like a suburban in Scotland? Some of the roads in Texas are barely big enough, I can't imagine in the UK....thanks

I need to fix my headlamp flasher - I'm going to be doing a bit of pulling over to let people past! Where I really notice the thing's size is when I arrive in a supermarket carpark. There's scarcely room to get a 'swing' into a bay and when I do get in there its arse is left hanging out like an obscenity. The feeling of space inside makes it worth it though and I love that open floor across the front where so many other cars/trucks have a centre console.

There actually is a pure silver color (looks like cast aluminum) and a gold color that looks like old brass. The platinum/ light autumnwood is way more common though

Pics, pics, pics! Post your platinum and we can compare! I think you are right and mine is pure silver. I have what I think is its build/spec sheet. I'll see if there's a paint code or description.

Does yours rattle like crazy over bumps? Mine sounds like the doors have been filled with broken bottles or there's skeletons in there copulating. Maybe my tyre pressures (50f 75r) need to come down. Otherwise, it is serene calm.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like it has smaller tires than factory.If so it would ride better w taller tires,also how old are the shocks?

Its's on 245/65 -17 though I intend to fit 245/70-17 before too long. I keep forgetting to drop the pressures - there's two labels in the door shut - one permits pressures some 20psi lower than they are currently at. The rattling - at its worst over small sharp, eg cats eyes, where the tarmac has been machined with ridges every six inches - and its from inside the doors the racket is.

Shocks are an unknown but judging by the handling so far - aren't overdamping! Big bumps it just takes in its stride (and I don't want to lose that) quietly. It's those sharp edged imperfections. I still have a battery drain problem and that may well take me inside the doors. Wonder what I'll find there!