Hello from Queens, NY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I've got a 1996 GMC Suburban K2500 SLT 5.7L Vortec. Original owner. I've been reading a lot of the posts here and have got to say that man, are they informative! So thanks to all who post all this great info!
Welcome! There really is a lot of info here!

newyorkpaul

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Unfortunately, I don't have many pics of her. And right now, she is on jack stands. Turns out, the frame broke where the gearbox bolts to it. Looks like some very bad rust. I'm trying to figure out what the best course of action is now. Is it repairable? Can I cut the front off some other frame and weld it in place? Do I swap the chassis? Is that even recommended with a 26-year old truck? If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

A little back story . . . my father bought the truck new in 1996. It was our family car for a while. Then my brother used it for several years in the Catskill, NY area. That means a lot of snow and a lot of salt. Then it sat pretty idle for a few years in Queens, where I am. Then, I needed a work truck so I decided to revive it. The truck has sentimental value, and it is also in good condition . . . except of course, for the front section of the frame. It's got the original 5.7L Vortec engine which runs great, the 196,000 miles notwithstanding.

Attachments

• IMG_1985.JPG
    IMG_1985.JPG
    361.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    521.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0294.JPEG
    IMG_0294.JPEG
    101.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4293.JPG
    IMG_4293.JPG
    517 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4294.JPG
    IMG_4294.JPG
    503.6 KB · Views: 5

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Unfortunately, I don't have many pics of her. And right now, she is on jack stands. Turns out, the frame broke where the gearbox bolts to it. Looks like some very bad rust. I'm trying to figure out what the best course of action is now. Is it repairable? Can I cut the front off some other frame and weld it in place? Do I swap the chassis? Is that even recommended with a 26-year old truck? If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

A little back story . . . my father bought the truck new in 1996. It was our family car for a while. Then my brother used it for several years in the Catskill, NY area. That means a lot of snow and a lot of salt. Then it sat pretty idle for a few years in Queens, where I am. Then, I needed a work truck so I decided to revive it. The truck has sentimental value, and it is also in good condition . . . except of course, for the front section of the frame. It's got the original 5.7L Vortec engine which runs great, the 196,000 miles notwithstanding.
Nice lookling burb! Like the tow tone paint.