Hello everyone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShawnSierra02

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm looking for some info on a GMT400 before I buy one. My granddad had a 1992 Gmc Sierra extended cab 4x4 when I was growing up and I have good memories of these. I am used to smaller cars but I need a truck now that I'm more independent and I know these are good work trucks. My grandpa sold the truck recently and got a Sherrod edition 2019 Silverado, and I wasn't smart enough to get it then. Thanks!

ShawnSierra02

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. GMT 400s are the best trucks GM built. Take your pic, on options, and what you can afford.
Where should I post that? I have a few things I'd like and want a separate post for that

:welcome::welcome: What part of NE MN are you in? I'm around the twin ports and twin cities. I've had 3 gmt400's over the years, 2 I have now. Our 400s are the best trucks ever built, as Kenny said. Nothing is better than them :Big Laugh:
I'm in the suburbs of Duluth, I like it here but Rochester keeps calling my name.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where should I post that? I have a few things I'd like and want a separate post for that
Well, this is aber supported forum, as almost all forums are. You need 100 post, plus, 6 month of membership, before you can post in the sale, wanted section. That being said, most of us love our trucks, and we aren't looking to sale our trucks. There are many sights with vehicles for sale. Like I said before, it all comes down to what you want, and how much you want to spend. A truck from somewhere like Phenix, will have no rust, but will cost you between $1000 to maybe as much as $2000 to get it shipped to you. A truck with low miles will also cost more than one with a lot of miles, but don't let the miles scare you away. I have 260,000 miles on my 97 Silverado. I had it repainted in 2013. I rebuilt the rear end last February, and a week and 1/2 later, I blew the transmission. I had it rebuilt with a HD master rebuild kit, Corvette servo's, and a shift kit. Shortly there after, I went through the front end, and put a new set of tires on it. I take very good care of my truck. I'm admit about my oil changes. I have had my truck for 20 years. Everything in it works, and I have won 2,,, 3ed place trophys at 2 different car shows with my truck. I don't think I would take $15000 for my truck, but you can find a beater around me for as little as $2500 if it runs.

ShawnSierra02

Reaction score
Would it be fine if I put it in the eBay and Craigslist finds section for the time being?
Miles don't really matter much, I don't want more than 500k miles. Rust is fine, just not major. I prefer the look of the GMC's, reminds me of my grandpa's truck and like it a little more than the Chevy ones. I know that these are very modifiable and not afraid to get my hands dirty if I want to make it my own.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Would it be fine if I put it in the eBay and Craigslist finds section for the time being?
Miles don't really matter much, I don't want more than 500k miles. Rust is fine, just not major. I prefer the look of the GMC's, reminds me of my grandpa's truck and like it a little more than the Chevy ones. I know that these are very modifiable and not afraid to get my hands dirty if I want to make it my own.
You can, but you mite get tagged. Worse case, it will have to be removed, and again very worse case, you get a warning.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you're in the market for a GMT400, Facebook Marketplace would probably be your best bet. I tried numerous used car sites — because I did not have a Facebook account when I began my search — and it was just painful. (Word of advice: do NOT use Autotrader.) Probably within a day or so of creating a new Facebook account (I had one in the past but deleted it), I found my GMT400 in Arkansas and contacted the owner immediately. It took some coordination on my part and patience on the owner's part, but it was a success.

Be mindful that there are scammers out there, so sellers might not be as responsive as you like, because they assume you're just another scammer. Be persistent to demonstrate you're sincerely interested.

Be willing to travel to buy it. You probably don't want to buy one that has lived its life in the rust belt.

Inspect it or have someone inspect it (there are companies out there that perform used car inspections on your behalf) before buying it. Do NOT buy it without first inspecting it.

Be ready to make a deal fast when you find one. They go quick. Cash4Clunkers really depleted the market of GMT400s. It's a sad reality.

By the way, the 4th gen Silverados are sweet! I'm in love with the 2019+ Silverados that have the 10L80 10-speed transmission. I'll probably wait about 10 years to get a used one myself.

Last edited: