Heater Hose Quick Disconnect to Barbed Fitting and Hose Clamp Swap/Fix

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by Loslam, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Jared Jackson

Jared Jackson I'm Awesome

Never a thing wrong with doing some cheap factory fixes and getting some tinker time in... Engineers do things for ease of assembly, cost benefits, whatever... It's always cool when we can point out a weakness and provide a cheap fix that would be easier to repair if it ever failed in BFE.

2. Jared Jackson

Jared Jackson I'm Awesome

Well... I'll be damned. You may be onto something what the restriction! That never occurred to me.

I am not going to go back to that stupid fitting... But I may look for a 3/4 hose splice with a built in restriction...

Random google search talked about putting a socket into the heater hose with a 1/4 drive opening.

3. letitsnow

letitsnow I'm Awesome

I replaced mine with a barbed fitting too. If the heater core ends up leaking because of it, the heater core probably needed to be replaced anyways.

4. big_mike

big_mike I'm Awesome

Yea, I have never seen a over pressured heater core that wasn't corroded to all hell. If that happens the core is probably not flowing efficiently and that's causing the pressure. Those should flow so freely if you stick a water hose on the inlet it should freely flow out. It's basically a small radiator.

Simply changing this fitting should have zero negative effect on the cooling system if it's in good operating condition to begin with.

5. Moparmat2000

Moparmat2000 I'm Awesome

I put a barbed fitting on my wifes 99 burb we used to own because it was leaking, however i tack welded a fabbed up 1/8 thick circular steel plate over the end and drilled out the center of it to the same diameter as the inside of the original fitting. It is a restricted flow fitting for a reason. Too much flow and pressure, and it will blow out your heater core.

Had a buddy with a 68 mustang that kept popping heater cores after he rebuilt a 351 for it. I looked at his oem 2bbl intake manifold and the stock fitting had a restriction sized hole in it. His aftermarket intake he had put a non restricted chrome fitting. I told him theres your problem. He machined a nice press fit plug with a restricted hole for his fancy new chrome fitting on his engine. Stopped popping heater cores.