Heater flow/temp issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FourEightZero

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that one doesn't allow proper engine temp, it's gotta come out. What temp is it rated for?
It's a 195°F stat I ordered off Rock Auto (can't remember the brand) when I built the engine last year.

I figured maybe my 1/8" hole was contributing to the overcooling... so I got a new 195 stat (one without a check valve) and drilled a 1mm hole in it.

Pulled the old stat out and saw this.. That brass clip locked it open.

Is this a bad design? Or is it some kind of safety feature?

Attachments

• 16901608291193070205417768580275.jpg
    16901608291193070205417768580275.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 8

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a 195°F stat I ordered off Rock Auto (can't remember the brand) when I built the engine last year.

I figured maybe my 1/8" hole was contributing to the overcooling... so I got a new 195 stat (one without a check valve) and drilled a 1mm hole in it.

Looks like the failsafe garbage. Never had any luck with them.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why your engine wouldn't achieve proper running temperature.

Yes, it's bad design. Yes, it's misleading advertising. Yes, it's supposed to be a cooling-system "safety" feature.

Too many folks assume that those theromstats "can't fail and stick closed", when the intent is that if the engine overheats because something ELSE in the cooling system fails, it'll lock open. Their deceptive advertising kinda leads folks to believe that nonsense.
Looks like the failsafe garbage. Never had any luck with them.
Yes. And--neither has anyone else. They're a gimmick. Twenty-five cents worth of stamped sheetmetal, and an opportunity to advertise something no-one else has.

Last edited: