Headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got a ‘99 cclb obs truck. The interior is in pretty good shape overall, but the headliner is really starting to get to a point I need to do something about it.

I went to pretty much the only good upholstery shop in town, he gave me a good price, but said he’d do only cloth. Maybe this is because the big cab, but I had a ‘98 that had a vinyl ceiling, and I absolutely loved it. If I’m stuck with cloth, that’s ok, but I can be patience if there’s another option.

I am also curious, what the ceilings on these trucks look like with nothing? I had an ‘84 forever, and in the last few years took the headliner out, and the ceiling looked awesome, best paint on the truck. Do the 88-98 ceilings look good like that too? If I did just lose the headliner, would it be louder or anything would you think? Or loose any insulating value? Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any pictures of what this might look like?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Picture I found on the internet, it's a 99, but the 88-98 ceilings look about like this with no headliner. With the structural ridges and such.

You can get ABS plastic Headliners, I think they are around a hundred bucks, My brother got one for a Fire bird project and it looked pretty good, sort of a wrinkly texture and easy to paint.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
he has a crew cab. there will be center braces.
remove it yourself and recover. i did mine 10 years ago and still looks new. got fabric from wallys. adhesive called heads up. 4 cans. don’t need to have foam backing. that’s what deteriorates. or get the heads up fabric with foam.
https://www.amazon.com/Heads-Up-HU804-Gray-Headliner/dp/B000B6AFE4
might be hard to get it for a cc.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Find a different upholsterer.
I've done more than several in vinyl, my own included. In mine, I used perforated vinyl. Kind of similar to the original factory material in '70's-'80's Camaros.
The proper H/L material has 1/8" foam bonded to the material, so for the H/L to look 'right' there has to be some foam glued to the panel first.
I use 1/8" closed-cell. This will not suck up the glue & cause the foam to collapse & stick to itself due to the saturation. Don't glue fabric or vinyl right to the panel itself. It needs that foam.
This is a job you can do yourself. It's a pretty easy. I'll take more time to re-n-re the panel than the actual recovery time.
If you wish to do this yourself, I'd be more than happy to walk you through the process, using the proper glues/foam & the fabrics/vinyls of your choice. Figure it'll take you a good afternoon's worth of time.

koolbreeze

Reaction score
What does it cost to get a headliner done in a single cab these days? I see them on Rockauto for $175 ready to install, not sure of the quality though.

koolbreeze

Reaction score
Thank you. The fabric has all fallen off mine. I'd love to have a newer GMC Sierra, but sticker shock has led to deciding to restore my '95 K1500 5-speed instead.