Headliner help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Naw, next is getting my seat redone. I'm ashamed to have red duct tape on it...

After that probably be rubber floor (same time really) then fixing the faded plastics

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far I think my glueing has held. I think there's a small portion on the front passenger side where the foam pulled off the board, not the vinyl falling off the foam. My thinking behind that is as I pushed up to re stick it, it kind of creased like the foam did as I was peeling the liner back. The "bubble" ends up being an oval that's about 6 by 14 inches, with the long edge paralleling the windshield. If it doesn't get worse and pull the whole thing down I'll leave it, until it pulls the rest down, then I'll just take it out of the truck until I get it redone again. I might have them reuse this vinyl or get a whole new one. If it's going to an upholstery place, I might as well have them do my seat too, which is going to need at least the foam on the drivers side replaced, but replacing only part of the foam is something that's not really something that's done, doesn't sound doable on a single bench and doesn't sound like a good idea in general, so it's going to need all new foam and cloth.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good news and bad news. Bad news, came out to the truck this morning to the whole liner fallen. Good news is I can tell the vinyl is still stuck to the foam. Out she comes. Thank you all for the help

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not do upholstery work. I did a vinyl top 30 years ago and a can of 3M 90 will last 5 years in the shop for collision repair. I was in a shop when all the G body headliners fell in the 80's and avoided them.

I redid my single cab headliner a few years ago. I did what I thought was right and it ended up being almost exactly the method sewlow wrote a few pages ago. I used PPG DX300 wax and grease remover with a plastic putty spreader to scrape off all the old foam. I bought a thicker material on Amazon and did not use foam. I used contact cement from a quart can. I sprayed it with the 3M Accuspray gun system with the pressure cup, Incredible pattern adjustability and no cleaning, I threw the $5 head away. using multiple light coats as sewlow posted. So far the truck sits outside winter and summer and the liner is perfect.
Follow what sewlow recommends, it will work.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not do upholstery work. I did a vinyl top 30 years ago and a can of 3M 90 will last 5 years in the shop for collision repair. I was in a shop when all the G body headliners fell in the 80's and avoided them.

I redid my single cab headliner a few years ago. I did what I thought was right and it ended up being almost exactly the method sewlow wrote a few pages ago. I used PPG DX300 wax and grease remover with a plastic putty spreader to scrape off all the old foam. I bought a thicker material on Amazon and did not use foam. I used contact cement from a quart can. I sprayed it with the 3M Accuspray gun system with the pressure cup, Incredible pattern adjustability and no cleaning, I threw the $5 head away. using multiple light coats as sewlow posted. So far the truck sits outside winter and summer and the liner is perfect.
Follow what sewlow recommends, it will work.
Oh, his help worked. I just wish I asked before trying to fix it myself. The peeling off of the vinyl twice was just too much for the foam and glue holding the foam to the board.

I've got an idea, that might be a little crazy. Cut the board in half, down the center of the truck, pull it back, so I could follow the above instructions to reglue the foam to the board without disturbing my new gluing. As for addressing how to rejoin the two halves, I was thinking I could print strips with carbon fiber reinforced material, which, when thick enough, are actually incredibly ridgid. Something thin enough that it wouldn't show, might be tough to get ridgid enough though. Then gluing and stapling multiple of these across the gap. But... I think paying someone to do it again would be best...