Headliner help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tl:Dr had headliner precessionally redone, moved, adhesive failed. Need help getting it to stick

Ok, so the long story. Had my headliner redone. New foam, and color matched vinyl. This was January ish 2019, in Wyoming (think... COLD, and dry). We'll,2020 did it's thing. Moved to the Seattle area, things start to warm up, and one day I find my nice new headliner has completely fallen. So the other day, with the help of my dad, I pull the staples, spray her down with 3m headliner adhesive, and get it re-stuck. Rolled a rolling pin across it for a while, then let it sit 24 hours in shade, vinyl up. Put it back in the truck, and within a few hours, it's down again.

The backing cardboard is in decent shape, then the layer of new foam, then the liner.

What will be the best way to keep her up, that won't look like dog doo doo(my dad loves silicone... You seen the movie "my big fat Greek wedding? My dad loves silicone almost that much) I don't care if I have to spend 50 bucks for a can o goo and let it cure for a week, but I would like to do it myself. Cause I'm about ready to look into buying a pint of superglue...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before you glued the liner did you scrape/ clean off the board really good? Prefab is important.... making sure nothing on it not even dust. Dont even sneeze lol

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The liner is glued to foam. The foam is holding rock solid to the board, but the back of the vinyl isn't sticking to the foam.

The board in it isn't the board I had in it when I dropped it off, as it was unusable... Due to someone using silicone to try to hold up the old one. I'm not sure what the guy did. But the foam sticks to the board real good.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you using headliner material? or vinyl and glueing it to foam?

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever the guy used. It was a legitimate upholstery place, from show car interiors to stuff in the small local restaurants. I'm just trying to reglue his work.

I'll pull the whole thing out tomorrow again, and I can take pictures of the foam, which almost looks more like a modern car cloth liner, kind of a mesh top layer, and the vinyl glued to that. No patterns cut into it or anything.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok look forward to seeing it. Lot of headliners I've seen have the foam already attached like stock, suede, whatever. All you do is clean the board really good fold half of the material on the board. Spray the liner and board. Work center in and work your way out to edges till its cured on and no bubbles. Then repeat to opposite side. Hopefully that makes sense.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right, that's what I did when I reglued it sprayed half the foam, half the liner layed it on from center it, repeat for the other half. I used the 3m headliner adhesive. I think that's where the issue lies. It talks about holding foam and fabric to non porous surfaces, but not foam to foam, like I see on the permatex heavy duty headliner and carpet stuff. Because the foam is still tacky. Meaning even in the car I can restick the liner for a little bit

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The person to get in on this thread is @sewlow . If he isn't still in mourning over his beautiful wrecked truck (or even if he is) he likely would know what to do in this unusual case. I am pretty sure that silicone isn't the answer. I don't think you are going to like the answer which I suspect will mean starting over, perhaps even with a junkyard liner backing.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do hope he gets in here. From my lurking and few posts, he's the upholstery guy. I really hope I don't have to start over, but if I have to, I have to. All the materials were new about 6 months ago, and there hasn't been any actual damage.