Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the OEM GM Brazil reflectors on my K1500 Suburban (manufactured for GM Brazil by Arteb: https://www.arteb.com.br/catalogo/?pa_veiculo=silverado ). These illuminate the road like a European "E-code" reflector.

I actually have two pairs of these, one on the Suburban and another on the shelf as a back-up.

Pictures of one of the reflectors are attached.

The low-beam has a broad horizontal pattern with good visibility into the ditches, with a sharp vertical cut-off to mitigate blinding of oncoming traffic.

The high beam has a very pin-point "spot-light" pattern, so the 4-high mod makes for a great set-up.

Attachments

• IMG_4942.jpg
    IMG_4942.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4943.jpg
    IMG_4943.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4944.jpg
    IMG_4944.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 44

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've got the OEM GM Brazil reflectors on my K1500 Suburban (manufactured for GM Brazil by Arteb: https://www.arteb.com.br/catalogo/?pa_veiculo=silverado ). These illuminate the road like a European "E-code" reflector.

I actually have two pairs of these, one on the Suburban and another on the shelf as a back-up.

Pictures of one of the reflectors are attached.

The low-beam has a broad horizontal pattern with good visibility into the ditches, with a sharp vertical cut-off to mitigate blinding of oncoming traffic.

The high beam has a very pin-point "spot-light" pattern, so the 4-high mod makes for a great set-up.

How did you get a hold of them? I've heard of them before, but thought they were pretty far out of reach for us here in the US.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the thread where you go into detail. https://www.gmt400.com/threads/acquiring-arteb-brazil-gmt400-headlight-reflectors.44133/

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(in response to the above posting)

Yes, be sure and read all the posts from me in that thread you reference, for I describe some of the issues I faced in detail; as I explained, for me it was rather involved to get the GM Brazil reflectors purchased there and sent to me, here.

I will add that, as of this writing (Nov2021) the exchange rate is much more favorable to a US buyer. When I originally bought these reflectors, the rate was around 3.25:1, today it's about 5.57:1 (the higher number means better for us in the US).

I just checked online and found this listing on Mercado Livre: (although note that this listing says "Anúncio pausado" - "ad paused", so this seller might not have stock) so it looks like a pair might be bought for B$1,200, which is about US$215. That's quite attractive.

The problem remains: How does someone here in the US find someone there in Brazil to buy the reflectors, receive them, (re)package them and ship them to the US?

The fellow in Brazil who did this for me (purchased, received, repackaged and shipped) was a very friendly and, fortunately for me, a fair individual, but I've not been able to reach him recently.

If there's enough interest from others here on GMT400, perhaps I can re-establish my communications channel to him to see if he's willing to purchase some of these for me (or others) again.

Or, if anyone on GMT400 knows a friend in Brazil who is willing to help, that would be IDEAL.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If there's enough interest from others here on GMT400, perhaps I can re-establish my communications channel to him to see if he's willing to purchase some of these for me (or others) again.

If you do this, I'm in for sure this time. I'm still kicking myself for not getting involved the first time around.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Brazil units particularly because they're OEM quality and they've got a great illumination pattern on low (like a European E-code lamp); high is a pencil-like beam, so these reflectors work better if the low beams are on all the time and the highs are switched.

I've tried two aftermarket reflector brands here (TYC and one other, can't remember the name) and they were both junk. Oh yeah, they looked cute (both were compound reflectors, clear... looked good on the Suburban) but on both brands the illumination pattern was crap (blotches of light here and there) and on one pair they leaked and held water.

I have to say that, if I had my choice, I would rather install a set of the early GMT400 quad headlights employed by GM on the European models, as they likely had an exceptional illumination pattern. I've looked for these and came up empty handed (well, maybe if I scoured the junk yards in Europe I could find a pair, but that ain't happenin').

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Or, if anyone on GMT400 knows a friend in Brazil who is willing to help, that would be IDEAL.

I'd be in too.... unfortunetly, I have no contacts in Brazil.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My contact in Brazil... in the past (2019) I was able to both email and text him.

I'll try to contact him and see if I get a response.

Once you make 100 posts (you're at 27 now) you'll have full access and be able to post a thread about this in the classifieds section. The only other requirement is that you've been a member for six months and you're long past that. I bet you'd get some more people interested there, and technically I think it would be the only way to set up a group buy while adhering to the forum rules. I know it may seem like a pain, but it goes quickly and a simple "nice truck" or similar comment counts.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The glass housings are a pretty good upgrade over faded stock housings. I'm in the process of piecing together a wt front end to get some real headlight upgrades in. The composite housings are just too limiting.