Headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blanco_obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honest opinion are shorty headers worth it ? I have a stock 5.7 which I plan on maybe putting a cam or just getting a 350 ho from my job. Now I love the sound of my truck currently which has stock manifolds to the y pipe to a shorty cherry bomb side exit. But eh I think it maybe be a tad quiet I just want that American v8 sound lol.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally like the manifolds. I have short headers/budget type. I feel like they've been more of a pain for sealing the exhaust and I feel like the engine bay hotter.. feel bad for my starter.... plus changing plugs are a challenge.. however if you got all out performance and mods and tune then I could see you changing it

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the effort involved, I'd recommend long tubes for the best gains. Especially if you're going to cam. Headers don't usually give major gains by themselves, but are a compliment to other performance mods.

I have seen small blocks gain up to 50 ft/lbs of torque with long tubes or tri-ys. That is a pretty major gain. My Express van went from downshifting to 3rd on grades to staying in Overdrive up the same grades after I put Thorley tri-Ys on it. Had ALOT more torque everywhere after the header install. Made more torque even at part-throttle.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer good-flowing manifolds because they seal so much better and are quieter, but with my cam I pretty much had to go long-tube. If I weren't such a horsepower addict I'd go with manifolds and a slightly smaller cam. I really wish there were good manifolds for our trucks. As a crutch, you can get the big downpipes off a 2500/3500 and build an exhaust from them.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a set of headers with a Y-pipe on my old 90 GMC. Can't remember exactly, but thinking I put em on at 200k, and couldn't believe the torque it had even with a semi tired motor.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Random question for anybody. I'm putting my stock manifold back on mine. Is it 85ftIbs? Or what's the torque spec for the bolts to the head? Also start from center and torque out or what?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
85 ft/lbs and you'll be drilling out broken studs.

A Google search comes up with this:
Tighten to 10 N·m(89 lb in) on the first pass.
Tighten to 20 N·m(15 lb ft) on the final pass.
file:///tmp/mozilla_me0/GenIIIVortec-New-Exhaust-Manifold-Bolts-Torque-Specifications.pdf

Of course, that's with new bolts. If you're reusing rusty thirty-year-old bolts, I'd snug 'em by hand and give them a quick cinch with a careful feel for any bolt stretch. If you don't have that feel, the 15 ft/lb is probably safe.