Headers N stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer good flowing manifolds to headers for heat control and better sealing, but if I'm going to go headers, I go full-length. Any reason you want shorties?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put them on my son’s 98 a year or two ago. No issues with installation and it comes with the bolts, etc. I did use Felpro gaskets instead of what it came with.

It takes a while to burn the black paint off and then they’re just rust colored like the stock ones.

No real complaints though access to the mounting bolts is tedious and maybe half of the plugs require using a wrench with the plug socket - a ratchet won’t fit.

Negligible difference in performance, if any. There are probably better and worse choices if that makes any sense.

Yeedonkey

Reaction score
I put them on my son’s 98 a year or two ago. No issues with installation and it comes with the bolts, etc. I did use Felpro gaskets instead of what it came with.

It takes a while to burn the black paint off and then they’re just rust colored like the stock ones.

No real complaints though access to the mounting bolts is tedious and maybe half of the plugs require using a wrench with the plug socket - a ratchet won’t fit.

Negligible difference in performance, if any. There are probably better and worse choices if that makes any sense.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing noticeable on the gas mileage but I couldn’t speak to the exhaust as I replaced the whole thing for a true dual setup. It was in pretty rough shape when we bought it so anything was going to be an improvement.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bolted shorties on years ago, noticeable difference in performance and mpg. Then again my 350 had the dual 3" OD pipes and 454 sized cats from GM and not the straws that came on the 1/2 tons and I had already ditched the garbage can muffler. Thorley tri-ys gave another even more noticeable improvement. The thorleys over the shorties gave enough of a low-end torque improvement to make the 4L85E feel like it had the same umph off the line as the 65E. Above 65 mph the thorleys also kept me with the torque converter locked up and the trans in overdrive on most grades rather than the converter unlocking and the trans sometimes downshifting.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tri-ys felt like I gave it a small shot of nitrous even compared to the shorties. Shifting at 4,600ish it still had good get up and go for a 4L85E/3.73 9.5 SF setup rolling on 30.5" tall tires. I was testing tow/haul mode and I don't rev the snot out of it when towing, so it was shifting earlier than the stock 5,100.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Climbing some ~6% grades in overdrive around 60-65 mph.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm more interested in the origin of your user name than addressing your question as that's been pretty well covered already.