Header wrap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone had any dealings with header wrap??

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've only ever done it on race cars, it's pretty straight forward. What about it?

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont know if this is a thing but i hate the header wrap. I wrapped my turbo manifold and down pipe when i had the setup on my other truck.
Im looking for ideas as to what i could use over the header wrap to keep the fiberglass from killing me when i tinker with the exhaust in the future.

I see they make a silicone spray to put on it as a protective coating but would love to put some type of heat tape over the header wrap so it traps all the fiberglass.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always just used the Jegs wrap and dealt with it, the silicon might do the trick for what you're after, I'd have to do some reading. I'd be hesitant to add something else around the wrap that isn't mean to be there though, you might actually hinder the performance of the wrap.

brutpwr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I like the benefits of header wrap over time I have had several cars blow out the headers and when you take the wrap off the metal is like crystalized from the wrap holding in too much heat and the metal is flaky and brittle. I don't think you would have a problem if you have stainless steel headers though.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All my turbo hot side is coated with a high temp paint. I wrapped all of it with header wrap and used tie wire to secure it.
The down pipe to tailpipe is all stainless so no worry on that. But it's wrapped till it gets past the transmission to keep the heat down.

When I had to pull the trans a few times I just wrapped shop towels around the crossover pipe and it kept the fiberglass from making a mess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have it on my fuel lines because my longtube headers are too close for comfort. Pretty straight forward as said before....make sure you use the metal ties instead of plastic.

I don't have experience with this, but if you drive the vehicle year round in all types of weather, I probably wouldn't wrap the headers if they're anything besides stainless. The material will absorb water/moisture and I'm sure it would promote rust and decrease the header life over time.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have it on my fuel lines because my longtube headers are too close for comfort. Pretty straight forward as said before....make sure you use the metal ties instead of plastic.

I don't have experience with this, but if you drive the vehicle year round in all types of weather, I probably wouldn't wrap the headers if they're anything besides stainless. The material will absorb water/moisture and I'm sure it would promote rust and decrease the header life over time.

The first set of headers I put on my truck were cheap steel, and I wrapped them. Kept the engine compartment nice and cool but yeah within two years the headers were toast.